new regulator seems to be over charging

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewb2332

Reaction score
I just put a new Ricks regulator on my 85 and now the battery is reading 16 volts which is really high and probably is dangerous does anybody know what could be causing it, I checked the stator and it was reading .8 ohms

I would Definitely NOT run that R/R if it's putting 16V to the battery.
It is almost certainly a Bad R/R.
If it puts out anything over 14.5 it's getting iffy and over 15V will definitely damage you battery.
Personally I'd Send it back immediately and get a new one from wherever you got it from.
You wouldn't be the first one here to get a bad Rick's R/R.
You should probably also have you battery load tested at a local auto parts store just to be sure it's Not fried/damaged.

I figured it was just a defective regulator, just messaged the seller to exchange it for a new one hopefully I can and the next one works

I just put a new Ricks regulator on my 85 and now the battery is reading 16 volts which is really high and probably is dangerous does anybody know what could be causing it, I checked the stator and it was reading .8 ohms
You can't go wrong with the OEM later model R/R. They work great, and the grounding issue is solved. Better cooling too.

You DID have the new R/R's ground wire properly attached to the bike, didn't you? To bare metal somewhere? Or directly to the battery <-> terminal?

Back