New Shift Segment needed?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmax1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the bike out today for a ride. I had a nice open stretch in front of me sooooo I wound her up and went thru a few gears. I noticed that while under hard acceleration in 2nd and 3rd the bike felt as the clutch slipped for a split second a few times. The bike is an 85. It does not jump out of gear when accelerating wot in first or any gear. It does have the DD mod and the clutch plates are good. If it is the shift segment how hard and how expensive is it. Also how long should it take to repair. I hate to miss riding time.

Not sure if the shift segment is your culprit but it's not difficult to change out, you will have to remove the clutch assy and basket to gain access, be sure to install the newer style segment with the captured pin design, this was introduced around 2000 or so....................Tom.

On the flip side of my tire spin comment.

I had a VF1000R that I did a bunch of suspension work and sprockets to over a winter. When summer time hit I took it out. I had new Avon Azaro's on it with 2 up in back and 1 down in front. CBR wheels and front forks etc. I hit a straight area by my house, got on it and all it did was rev up. I went down the road thinking the clutches were toast. I turned around and headed back and saw a 100 ft black strip in the road. So I did it again , and yep it was the tire lighting up. That was the quickest clutch fix I ever did!

Todd

Segment upgrade is relatively simple and I normally keep the parts on hand (around $60-$70). It sounds worse then that to me but I would start with the simple upgrade and see if that fixes it.

When my shift segment went I couldn't shift period...seeing how you need to open up the clutch cover to get at the segment, you'll have the opportunity to check the metal plates for signs of slipage (blueing).

Did you change the type of oil you are using? Eliminate the easy stuff first as others have suggested...

Seans right this is same issue I had. Almost feels like u hit patches of ice in spots dont it? Unfortunately for me it was dogs rounded over on second gear. Hard on acceleration is when it happens isnt it?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Back