New shims and springs?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John R

Reaction score
'06 model with 11,000 miles. The front breaks are squelling the rear feel spngy. I'm going to replace the OEM brake pads with EBC HH pads. The manual says to replace the shims and springs as well. Did y'all replace your's?

Nope, no reason. My calipers don't have shims and original springs have 68000 miles on them.

'06 model with 11,000 miles. The front breaks are squelling the rear feel spngy. I'm going to replace the OEM brake pads with EBC HH pads. The manual says to replace the shims and springs as well. Did y'all replace your's?

Be sure to turn your front rotors or replace them. Most likely they are squealing due to glazing. If you install your new pads chances are you will glaze the new pads and still have squeaking.
Be sure to apply the anti squeak / or high temp silicone the back of the pads where they meet the pistons.
Get 2 cans of brake cleaner (Becareful not to get brake cleaner on any painted areas such as the wheels/ forks when cleaning the caliper.
I am still using my orginal springs and shims from 1999.

Gary McCoy at Mondak Motor Sports. It's in VMF Links.

Thanks for the replies and additional link. I don't have a motorcycle stand and I assume I would need one to remove the wheels in order to get the discs out for turning. Is there any other way getting the wheels off without a stand? For turning discs, do you just find a local brake store/ repair shop?

My front brakes squeaked like a mother after about half way worn. I got tired of it after trying a couple of different things. So I just bought the EBC HH pads and switched out the pads. And I have not heard one peep out of em since.

Thanks for the replies and additional link. I don't have a motorcycle stand and I assume I would need one to remove the wheels in order to get the discs out for turning. Is there any other way getting the wheels off without a stand? For turning discs, do you just find a local brake store/ repair shop?

Have a garage with open rafters and a center stand? Ratchet strap the front end up a bit!

As for the pads... Make sure you break them in per the instructions and you'll have no issues.

I put EBC HH pads on my '06 with only 150 miles on it. The worst part was the front end though. Once I had good brakes the soft front end was even worse!:damn angry: All sorted now though!
:eusa_dance:

Well, I bought the EBC HH FA160HH and FA88HH brake pads from White Buffalo Racing. They had the lowest prices and least expensive shipping by far. Called the order in. Guy sad to use 60 grit sandpaper to get any galzing off. I'll order from him again. He actually answered the phone on like the second ring. Told him I'm from this forum. Also, I order the MityVac6820 from Amazon.com. I called the auto parts stores around my area and none of them carried it. I live in Atlanta, GA, so I don't want to drive too far in this traffic (which is like 5 miles or more is too far). Gonna' do the brakes and clutch myself. Should be fairly easy.

Well, I bought the EBC HH FA160HH and FA88HH brake pads from White Buffalo Racing. They had the lowest prices and least expensive shipping by far.

Just out of interest, how much were your pads and shipping?

I just got 3 sets from Gary McCoy at Mondak Motorsports, $24.60 per set, and he reckoned shipping should be about $5 :clapping:

$24.50 per set for all three sets and about $.50 for shipping. Plus he helped me out with some questions, cost: priceless.

I love the added braking power of the EBC HH pads over my old stock '92 brake pads. Once I get the R1 calipers on it this winter I know I'm going to add HH pads and who to get them from! :thumbs up:

Back