New skins

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxcruzer

Reaction score
Fella's,
Im ordering a new rear tire today and I was wondering if the differences between the 190-50-17 and the 190-55-17 really makes that much of a deal. Why did they make a tire with a profile that close to the other? I could go either one and always wondered why it was created. I've got the- 50 now.
Kenny

Sent from my DROID2

YEAP it makes a difference. you now have more accel, less top speed more fuel consumption. if there was a tire 180-60/17 i would had it. you already have a smaller diameter of the wheel since you have a 17 wheel. now you will have even smaller with the 50 proflie. one of the things i have to do is a venture shaft drive. since i installed the 17 wheel i noticed the difference which i didint like . my max felt shorter.

i'd go 55 if i had the chance. raises the profile just that little bit more closer to stock.

Guess I just didn't think that 5% over width was that much.
I really don't NEED any more low end grunt so I guess ill try the 55 this time around.

Sent from my DROID2

190-55 will look better and will also handle better on some bikes.

Unfortunately the 190-55 are more difficult for me to find.
I just had a shot for shinko :p
I took a set of Roadtec Z6 Interact with a 190-50 on my 6" wheel for the meantime.
Changing the tail/fender I hope it won't look too short.

Michelin (now someone else has the pattern) made an excellent Road Race rain tire in the 190/55/17. Since it was a road coarse tire there was no DOT stamp on them but unless they get down and check the sidewall there's no way they would know.

Talk about traction with them! We had one on Kevins bike (lowered 2" front and even lower on the rear with extended arm). That bike would literally jump completely off the ground as it lurched forward on a clutch dump.

Sean

Michelin (now someone else has the pattern) made an excellent Road Race rain tire in the 190/55/17. Since it was a road coarse tire there was no DOT stamp on them but unless they get down and check the sidewall there's no way they would know.

Talk about traction with them! We had one on Kevins bike (lowered 2" front and even lower on the rear with extended arm). That bike would literally jump completely off the ground as it lurched forward on a clutch dump.

Sean

Sean you mean that this tire has a very good traction on a dry road?

I installed a Shinko 190/50-17 Drag Radial "Hook-Up" on my 2000 Vmax and it is worthy of the name. A real Beast on launch or from a slow roll.

rick rash

What do you guys find to be the best snow tire? We are in the middle of a monster snow storm here and I need to get the max on the road. I was considering simply studding my Metz 880's like I used to do on my dirt bike for ice ridding. Unfortunately this snow could be a couple feet deep so I was considering going to something more aggressive on the rear. Have any of you guys used a sand paddlewheel on the max? If so what size is best???? Kenny are there any possibilities I am over looking?

Lol, I don't know man but I do have a paddle and ski set-up for my dirt bike, it works good if you stay on the gas!
A few years back I ran into a college student that only had a bike (Honda black bird) for transportation and he screwed a handfull of slotted hex screw into the rear and he said it worked fine.
Ballsy move, Maverick!

Sent from my DROID2

That michelin hooked up incredible on the road and surprisingly actually lasted very well for a slick compound tire. It looks so much like a street legal tire no one will ever give it a second thought. I'm not sure you could do a burnout on them if you did the first one and got it warmed up. You would not get it back loose again until the tire cooled down.

Sean

What do you guys find to be the best snow tire? We are in the middle of a monster snow storm here and I need to get the max on the road. I was considering simply studding my Metz 880's like I used to do on my dirt bike for ice ridding. Unfortunately this snow could be a couple feet deep so I was considering going to something more aggressive on the rear. Have any of you guys used a sand paddlewheel on the max? If so what size is best???? Kenny are there any possibilities I am over looking?

I have Blizzaks on my car... On a bike you'd die though... They have so many sipes that they are squirrely without the snow and ice. Can't imagine them on a bike.

Attached is an excel spread sheet I made up comparing the ratios and speeds in 1st gen VMax's, 1st Gen Ventures, RSV's and Royal Stars.

Pick your bike model and final drive in middle area, and ratios and speeds change to that model.

Also has inputs for tire sizing by user input diameter or calculated based on size of tire.

Both sheets are protected to limit user input. Password to unprotect is dingy if you want to modify it.

Individual ratios are listed out on Range sheet in workbook.

Gary

Attachments

• Gear ratios.xls
    32.5 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back