New tire technology... best front tire Gen 1

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmx2001

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been looking at front tires for my 2001 (as I found mine is 10yrs old)
With the new technology I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on a fairly sticky tire.
I ride fairly aggressively (sometimes).
I live in Vancouver, Canada & the weather can vary considerably, so hot or cold.
Not a fan of riding in rain as I hit the ground at 100k ... due to oil.
I have an ME 880 on right now, but was looking at the Avon Chrome or Commander II

Any suggestions or help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Chris

thanks for replying guys.

I was was trying to get the commander 2s but everywhere seems sold out.

Actually everywhere I check for a 110/90 - 18 is sold out of that size.

I looked at the Shinko's but know very little about how well they perform.... how do you ride VMAXXIMUM?... aggressive or laidback?(if that is even possible for our bike...lol)

+1 on Shinko. That’s what I have on my 95. They’ve taken everything I’ve thrown at them and come back for more. I’m usually pretty laidback when I ride unless I ride with my nephew on his gxsr 1000. I ride pretty aggressively then & the tire still has excellent traction. Another positive is that they’re a lot less expensive than most of the well known tire brands

I had the ME880 (worked ok) then the ME888 (scary...tire slipped and spun on dry roads). Needed to try something different and went with the Avon AV72 170 in the rear and has been the best for traction and wear. The tire changed the way I ride...faster in the turns and with way more confidence. I also put the Avon Spirit st on the front and while it is a radial tire, I felt having a good sport tire was better than the slipping and sliding that the Metzlers were doing. I will buy the same tires again when these wear out but as of now I have more than 7500 miles and the tires look good.

I still run the 880 and never had an issue. Granted, I don't ride as hard as I used to, so there's that to consider. They last a good long time and perform brilliantly.

Hi all, I have been looking at front tires for my 2001 (as I found mine is 10yrs old)
With the new technology I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on a fairly sticky tire.
I live in Vancouver, Canada & the weather can vary considerably, so hot or cold.
I have an ME 880 on right now, but was looking at the Avon Chrome or Commander II

Thanks in advance
Chris
I use me888 front & back great in rain
one trip was 150+ miles back home in down pour all
The way no problems

i have been riding micthelin commander2 for over 2years now and max rides great with them on i dont ride like i did in the 1960 tis only about 70 to 110 sometime and max sticks to the road ok WELL AS I WAS 75 ON 3 JULY I TRY TO BEHAVE !!!!! WELL SOME TIMES ................

i have been riding micthelin commander2 for over 2years now and max rides great with them on i dont ride like i did in the 1960 tis only about 70 to 110 sometime and max sticks to the road ok WELL AS I WAS 75 ON 3 JULY I TRY TO BEHAVE !!!!! WELL SOME TIMES ................
Good to know. That's impressive riding a max at 75

Good to know. That's impressive riding a max at 75
thank you Bud as you know when you get your leg over a bike the world changes i did have a vincent1000 a long time ago that was fast then .ive had max for about 10years and changed alot of things i wont have another bike now just love the ride ..me and max will just keep on rideing to the sunset ...have a great day DENNIS

Like you I've had a gen1 for some time recently added a gen2 I'm 56 and still like wheelie from 2nd to 3rd on a hard pull good fun Wally

Like you I've had a gen1 for some time recently added a gen2 I'm 56 and still like wheelie from 2nd to 3rd on a hard pull good fun Wally

Hi again Wally. looks like it dont mater what age we are when we get on max its just a number . we just stay younger. as my sister says to me[ do what you can now] when you get out on max just look out for the idiots and stay safe[ she should KNOW JOYCE is 92 and keeps her eye on max as he is in her garage dry and safe.. Den

Hi again Wally. looks like it dont mater what age we are when we get on max its just a number . we just stay younger. as my sister says to me[ do what you can now] when you get out on max just look out for the idiots and stay safe[ she should KNOW JOYCE is 92 and keeps her eye on max as he is in her garage dry and safe.. Den
Lol my biggest thing is the brakes between Gen 1 and gen2 when I switch bikes 17 actually stops...95 not so much

Lol my biggest thing is the brakes between Gen 1 and gen2 when I switch bikes 17 actually stops...95 not so much
HI Wally my 1989 GEN1 MAX STOPS OK FOR ME [A PAIR OF brembo on the frount and a billet on the back ..you just have to look up the road [ and LOOK OUT FOR THE CLOWNS....

HI Wally my 1989 GEN1 MAX STOPS OK FOR ME [A PAIR OF brembo on the frount and a billet on the back ..you just have to look up the road [ and LOOK OUT FOR THE CLOWNS....
That's good I did upgrade to the stainless brake lines that helped a bunch. Lots of clown cars in my area lol

Thanks in advance
Chris
Commander 3 in front requires "17. conversion involved. An Xj 900 rear wheel with non standard 20/40/.5 bearing eBay, matching 3 spoke, xj 600 or 1000 front rim, caliper machining 4 places, speedo drive & left fork shave
Pros. 30 lbs lighter with Commander 3s
and Xj rims. The Bike will look like the concept illustrations and weigh 30 lb less.

Latest posts

Back