New to Bias tires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blade944

Reaction score
After years of dreaming I finally picked up my V-max. A very nice 97. Previously how-ever I have always riden sport bikes and all have had radial tires. Here's the question. Is it normal for the bike to wiggle and want to follows any cracks in the riding surface. It was a little disconcerting to, say the least, when commuting to work on a road I have been riding on for years and have the bike wiggle at speed on tar lines an grooves that have never been a problem on my other bikes.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

After years of dreaming I finally picked up my V-max. A very nice 97. Previously how-ever I have always riden sport bikes and all have had radial tires. Here's the question. Is it normal for the bike to wiggle and want to follows any cracks in the riding surface. It was a little disconcerting to, say the least, when commuting to work on a road I have been riding on for years and have the bike wiggle at speed on tar lines an grooves that have never been a problem on my other bikes.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

85 max here....does the same thing.

I've never ridden a bike with radials (I will soon, just ordered some for my max), but what you're describing is typical of bias ply tires. Back when cars used to have bias ply tires, that was one of the great things about the new radial tires, no more following cracks/groves in the road!

-MikeS

Thanks for the replies guys. Puts my fears to rest. Gotta tell ya though, I had to change my shorts after hitting a patch of pavement that was grooved prior to paving. Radials never gave me a problam with that type of surface but this time the bike was oscilating so bad I though i was gonna drop it. Live and learn.

Update-- Had a new Metzeler ME880 installed on the back and a Metzeler Lasertek for the front. 99.9 percent of all the squirlynes had dissapeared. What an amazing difference a set of tires can make.

As I call my VMAX the "Frame Flexing Wobbler" strapping the front end down helped with the high speed wobbles
But it drifts on highway cracks and wobbles if you come into a turn to hard or come out hard its just the VMAX handles like a soft turd stock suspension
If you spend about 1500 you can than have a bike that is safe to ride besides in a straight line sad to say
Or just ride it like a moped and think its the best thing before sliced bread
Ride it hard into turns you will fight it and the VMAX will win

Back