New to the forums, New to riding

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FootNote

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just joined the forum because I am going to check out a 96 vmax tomorrow and I got to say I am looking forward to it.

I saw the ad for it the other day and called the guy up and am bringing my friend who rides and who is pretty damn good mechanically speaking so he can check it out.

I know my buddy will be able to give it a good once over, but is there anything I should be asking? Things I should be looking for?

Thanks!

-Mike

Hey all,

I just joined the forum because I am going to check out a 96 vmax tomorrow and I got to say I am looking forward to it.

I saw the ad for it the other day and called the guy up and am bringing my friend who rides and who is pretty damn good mechanically speaking so he can check it out.

I know my buddy will be able to give it a good once over, but is there anything I should be asking? Things I should be looking for?

Thanks!

-Mike

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.

As for the bike, just the normal stuff really, brakes, tires, ask how old the battery is, what's it get for mileage (may give an idea of how well it's tuned), check the underside of the pipes, foot pegs and bar ends for scrapes. You could look inside the rear fender well for shredded rubber, ask the guy if he ever raced it on the track, etc.

And check the paperwork over before committing to anything, make sure the title is good.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out. :punk:

congrats if you do buy it bud. ask any questions around here, thats how ive learnd and am still learning, there are great knowledgeable guys on this site. but if you are new to riding, just some good advice... BE VERY EASY on the throttle untill you get used to the bike. you dont know what you are getting into. its a beast of a machine. it goes like a raped ape up to 6000rpm, then after, she hits like a land to air missile. if its in good shape or needs little and the price is right, buy it, and get ready for some good times. but even myself, ive been riding for well over 10 years and had the max for now my 3rd season, it still catches me off guard and scares the shit out of me. dont accelerate over 5 grand in a corner or you WILL shit your pants. vboost in corners is not a pleasant experience unless you are prepared for it.

the only major problem with the max, from my experience anyway... maybe others as well. is i cant keep a back tire on it for more than a few months at a time. still havent figured that one out yet... lol. good luck and enjoy!!!!

peace,
evan...

Welcome to the Yamaha Vmax information depot. Your stay here will fill you with knowledge, satisfaction in ownership, and most likely CopRunner will leave you with a uneasy feeling at some point. :biglaugh:
Plus we are the only site that can do the secret carb chain mod and live to tell about it, that alone is worth the price of admission!:punk:

welcome, these guys on here are great, they will help you find an answer to any question you can come up with about the bike. oh, beware the mod monkey!!!

+ take some pics and post all info you have. You'll get a lot of responses and maybe some questions to ask on your second visit . ( provided you don't snatch it up after your first ride ) Good luck. :punk:

Welcome to the Yamaha Vmax information depot. Your stay here will fill you with knowledge, satisfaction in ownership, and most likely CopRunner will leave you with a uneasy feeling at some point. :biglaugh:
Plus we are the only site that can do the secret carb chain mod and live to tell about it, that alone is worth the price of admission!:punk:

welcome to the forum man, hope the bike works out for ya and ya post pics when you can.

as for the above statement, its soo true that after reading it it brought back memories that has scared me back into a mumbling rocking state...... be afraid, be very afraid....

lol thanks everyone. I should be checking the bike out in about 2 hours I hope.

I will post photos when I get back.

i WELCOME AND I HOPE ITS NICE AND YOU GET IT ! ... ALSO I'M SO " TOUCHED " . :biglaugh: . THAT EVERYONE SPEAKS SO HIGHLY OF ME ! .. :rofl_200: . :eusa_dance:

Alright. So you are looking at a new VMAX owner (in48hours).

I went there with my buddy and checked out the ride. The guy who is selling it seemed like a pretty stand up guy and my buddy said he didn't see anything or hear anything wrong with it. Sounded good. Looked good. Felt good.

Now it will be fun to learn how to ride lol.

I say all this and yet I still am already making a mental list of things I want to buy/upgrade/change on it. lol

picture.php

picture.php

Alright. So you are looking at a new VMAX owner (in48hours).

I went there with my buddy and checked out the ride. The guy who is selling it seemed like a pretty stand up guy and my buddy said he didn't see anything or hear anything wrong with it. Sounded good. Looked good. Felt good.

Now it will be fun to learn how to ride lol.

I say all this and yet I still am already making a mental list of things I want to buy/upgrade/change on it. lol

picture.php

picture.php

it looks like it already has some nice mods on it.

is that a ufo quadzilla?

Back