New to the site, getting rid of the fz1 for a vmax!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDoe8

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm a newb on this site and am new to VMax's as a whole. I'm looking to get rid of the FZ1 and pick up a local vmax for sale. It's got a plethra of modifications to it and after a test ride, I was addicted to the sound alone!

Anywho, just saying hi. Looking forward to actually "joining" you guys soon!

Hello and welcome! Tell us more about the Max you're looking at, and we'll make sure to steer you in the right direction.

'92 max. Plethra of mods wasn't the right description. It's got all the basics more or less

I'm gonig to look more into it but at first ride/glance it seems to have a jet kit, supertrapp exhaust, chin spoiler, drag bars maybe?, i'm assuming vboost unplugged, filter, lowered front end, and probably more. he traded it in on an 09 max.

Reason for assuming the vboost is unplugged is it doesn't synch up or whatever when you turn the key. However, it is NO slouch at all so i'm assuming it's just the vboost cylinder thingy unplugged. I'm going to check it out and make sure it actually has vboost as i've read that some models like the euro ones do not. I'm pretty sure it's just open all the time though. Idles like it's cam'd, sounds like my car!

The sound is what hooked me too.

I never liked harley's... I don't dig on the sport bike sewing machine sound, but when i heard a Vmax w/ exhaust - I knew I had to have one
________
ipad guides

Last edited:
Welcome. Lots of good info and people here. And Dannymax.

hah are you insinuating that danny is not good info or a good person? or is he just so special he has to be individually called out?

Welcome to this site brother , everyone here will look after you .

Why the Vmax ?

When i was 18 i bought this bike home an 85 , dad said no way you are buying that .
Life goes on commitments , marriage , travel and ex wives , almost 1 year ago i think fuck it i will get that bike .
Take it round to the ole mans "Its bout fucken time" he said , 1st time i had ever heard him swear .

That bike is the legend and it has a cult following , and we are the lucky ones as we own and ride it .

:clapping::punk::clapping::punk::clapping::punk:

Turns out that the bike does nto have vboost anymore. It seems to have been taken otu completely. Many hoses left open and had pod filters. Doesn't matter, dealer wanted a crap load for it. Still trying to sell my bike if anyone is interested!

sounds liek a stage 7 kit. how much did the dealer want for it?

Anyone wanting to get into an FZ1? It's got speed and comfort :)

I always liked the FZ1's but never rode one. I am not in the market for one right now but would like to hear your best comparison of the two bikes.

What year of FZ1?
Comfort?
Torque?
HP?
Bring the front end up?
Handling?
Braking?
What RPM does the bike start to get fun?
What other bikes have you raced it against and won?
What other bikes have you raced it against and lost?
What made you want to switch to the VMax?
What is the worst thing about the FZ1?

Just curious about this stuff because besides having a lot of power, both bikes seem to be substantially different, so I'm wondering what "hooked" you about the Max?

What year of FZ1 -

Comfort -
Extremely comfortable for a sporty bike. Sits upright. Modified the seat and it's a lot more comfy for sure.

Torque -
Should be mid to upper 70's to the wheel

HP - should be mid to upper 130's to the wheel

Bring the front end up -
Yeah the power is there. Some consider this one of the best wheelie bikes out there. It doesn't come up like a hooligan bike but my bike is lowered so it's not a biggie for me. I'm not a wheelie guy so I don't know a ton about it's wheelie capabilities. Apparently it's easy to control up there or something. I'm too chicken to find out

Handling -
Handles great. Won't notice a difference on the street from any sport bike. Althogh turn in is a bit heaier, obviously.. the grip is still there too and with a couple easy mdoifications, it can be a GREAT handling bike.

Braking -
Don't really ride hard enough to answer this well enough. They are responsive and have never had me feeling like they weren't strong enough

What RPM does the bike start to get fun -
It has PLENTY of torque at about 4k. Surprisingly stout down low. As far as super speed, it gets fast fast at around 7-8k and keeps climbing from there. I recently rode a modified 600cc sport bike and it felt like a honda rebel to me. The torque is addicting.

What other bikes have you raced it against and won -
I don't really go around racing bikes. Only guy I've messed around with is my buddy with his 124whp 636 ninja. I pretty much dusted him. He said he had raced a bunch of 600's and never lost, raced an rc51 and beat him, and that's about all i know. I'd say it's faster than a gixxer 750 but slower than a gixxer 1000. Apparently all the fz1 people say it's about as fast as a 929 honda.

What other bikes have you raced it against and lost -
only bike i messed with was the ninja mentioned above.

What made you want to switch to the VMax -
I wanted more of a cruiser since I don't utilize the fz1's capabilites. I don't take turns aggresively, don't make high rpm sprints a lot, and like to cruise around and ride 2up a lot. I still wanted the speed when i feel like it and the torque is great stoplight to stoplight. No to mention the sound is menacing

What is the worst thing about the FZ1 -
The looks i suppose. Really it looks fine just a bit too much wheel gap above the front wheel kinda makes it look cheesy some times. All it needs is the full fairing kit or a naked streetfighter kit and it'll look great. It really is a fantastic all around bike and I love it. It's just not the right bike for my riding style. Stoplight to stoplight cruising and a few short 0-50 bursts is not what this bike was meant for.

Just curious about this stuff because besides having a lot of power, both bikes seem to be substantially different, so I'm wondering what "hooked" you about the Max -

Cruiser with power and amazing sound

The newer FZ1's have the fuel injected 20v version of the r1. Still plenty powerful. They kept that motor in the r1 all the way till 2006 i believe. It would be sweet if they utlized the new r1 motor with it's fancy firing thingy. The new ones also got a "face lift" and look more like the modern yamahas.

Many FZ1 owners feel the first generation fz1 is still the best one becuase it's more of an all around bike than the newer one.

fz1-2009.jpg

one of these days someone will get a good bike when they buy my 05.

Sean

LOL, selling it and my chevelle to possibly buy an 09.

Sean

sheriken the thing about the fz is that like the vmax there is soo many things that can be done to it. i have both an 01 and an 07.
the 01 is really easy to wheelie, and handles amazing, however there are some mods that, imo, have to be done to both bikes. i also had a cbr 929 and both my fz1's will eat it.
www.yamahafz1oa.com will tell you everything you'd ever wanna know. and www.ivansperformaceproducts.com makes every thing youi need to make them a banshee.
they really dont compare at all. both the fz1 and the vmax are awesome, in there own way. but hey there yamaha's.

Latest posts

Back