New to the vmax and forum.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello fellow riders. I just purchased a 1997 vmax and am thrilled. Graduated high school in 1986 so I’ve always wanted one as they were new on the market. Took me more than 30 years but oh man what a thrilling ride. I do have a Vulcan nomad. I do my own minor work and have gone through all the fluids and tune up that I always do on a new to me bike. My first thoughts about one of these is the stock exhaust makes the bike sound like a dragster. I love it but I’m sure the neighbors don’t. On a long sweeper getting on the highway under good power it does a little wiggle that I find takes some getting used to. I’m sure the frame is twisting under torque and plan to address with suggestions from this forum. My bike is red so I’m sure it’s been painted and a previous owner blacked out the engine which I don’t prefer. The bike is exactly what I was looking for. Incredible acceleration and a little scary. Perfect.

Attachments

• D0EF1A04-72A0-4AC8-831A-BB3A8A306FAD.jpeg
    D0EF1A04-72A0-4AC8-831A-BB3A8A306FAD.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 1
I thought so. Going to carefully remove from areas that got paint and shouldn’t have. Im obviously new but wanted to ask another question or advice. I have a good used engine for one of these without carbs and figured why not let someone else use it. Mine runs great but would be a shame to let sit. I don’t abuse my bikes and really don’t see going through changing engines if that comes up. I drove 9 hours to buy it for 700 thinking I might need it someday. If that happens I’ll buy another running bike. Is there a need for these or what would you do with it?

I thought so. Going to carefully remove from areas that got paint and shouldn’t have. Im obviously new but wanted to ask another question or advice. I have a good used engine for one of these without carbs and figured why not let someone else use it. Mine runs great but would be a shame to let sit. I don’t abuse my bikes and really don’t see going through changing engines if that comes up. I drove 9 hours to buy it for 700 thinking I might need it someday. If that happens I’ll buy another running bike. Is there a need for these or what would you do with it?
People do need engines from time to time but can be a hard sell if you do not know for sure if 2nd gear is good . Do you have any idea what year model it is? 96 and up would have a spin on oil filter 95 and back would be a cartridge type.

It’s got WE on number pad and a spin on filter. I can only go by what seller said but he said it came off a running bike that they didn’t feel like trying to get a lost title for so they parted the bike out. It was a shot in the dark. I had entertained the thought of sending it to Sean and have everything done to it including transmission upgrades but in all reality a stock vmax is more than I can handle. It would also be expensive. I’m a pretty good mechanic and was also considering going through it myself but I don’t have a shop and seriously doubt it would ever go back together no matter what I think. Lol

I expect Kyle will make an offer on the complete engine, except not knowing about the condition of 2nd gear, the offer would reflect that.

In April, I was in Asheville metro area, we stayed at a beautiful air B&B in Fletcher, probably more-than halfway up the mountainside. We went into Asheville, ate at a downtown historic building, played pinball at a museum , and went to (of course) the BIltmore, where we took the tour, and had a wine tasting. But I did not buy a spare engine for a VMax! So, I missed-out. We were on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and in the Pisgah National Forest, I would go back.

https://ashevillepinball.com/

Last edited:
Pretty sure that’s not true. The entire engine has been blacked out. Including all the aluminum/silver accents that were stock.
Yeah, I didn't mean someone went crazy with a black spraycan, I menat there's never been a VMax which didn't have a majority of the engine blacked-out, that being the side case covers, the cases, and bolt-ons. The clutch and the stator/rotor cases have some contrast, stock.

Yeah, I didn't mean someone went crazy with a black spraycan, I menat there's never been a VMax which didn't have a majority of the engine blacked-out, that being the side case covers, the cases, and bolt-ons. The clutch and the stator/rotor cases have some contrast, stock.
I thought they had some accent. They actually did a pretty good job painting the engine so it will be tedious getting it back to stock looking. I’m 54 and prefer a factory look. I will say these bikes are a handful as everyone who has one knows. I don’t have any issues with the engine but the frame needs some tightening up. Plan on doing a few of the suggestions on here just for piece of mind. When under power on long sweeping curves mine has a little twist that doesn’t instill confidence. Almost took my breath away a couple times. I do enjoy being on the edge.

Radial tires will instill more-confidence in your handling, especially in cornering and at speed. Minimum for doing this to get a V-rated tire like the VMax has (OEM is bias-ply f & r) is an altered rear wheel, 17" is popular for the variety of rubber compounds commonly-used on sportbikes, but you lose top-end. However, how-often do you find yourself doing 140mph? An 18" will be fewer rubber choices but is much-closer to the diameter of the OEM wheel/tire, so less of a penalty costing you top-end speed.

Check your front-end. Assuming the bike doesn't have Progressive Suspension replacement fork springs, you need air pressure in the front forks, ~5 to 15 psi is the range. I'm 220 lb ready to ride and I use towards the upper-end of that, on an otherwise stock fork.

Steering head bearing tension is another factor in steering precision, it has recently been discussed (again) and Sean Morley's youtube video on the 'bounce test' for proper setup will help you get that adjusted well.

A worn front tire also can cause handling issues, you can imagine what can be the case, if all of these combine to give you the willies, as the bike displays wobbles. There are other causes too.

Frame braces and solid motor mounts (used on Ventures) are often claimed by users to help steering precision.

Last edited:
Radial tires will instill more-confidence in your handling, especially in cornering and at speed. Minimum for doing this to get a V-rated tire like the VMax has (OEM is bias-ply f & r) is an altered rear wheel, 17" is popular for the variety of rubber compounds commonly-used on sportbikes, but you lose top-end. However, how-often do you find yourself doing 140mph? An 18" will be fewer rubber choices but is much-closer to the diameter of the OEM wheel/tire, so less of a penalty costing you top-end speed.

Check your front-end. Assuming the bike doesn't have Progressive Suspension replacement fork springs, you need air pressure in the front forks, ~5 to 15 psi is the range. I'm 220 lb ready to ride and I use towards the upper-end of that, on an otherwise stock fork.

Steering head bearing tension is another factor in steering precision, it has recently been discussed (again) and Sean Morley's youtube video on the 'bounce test' for proper setup will help you get that adjusted well.

A worn front tire also can cause handling issues, you can imagine what can be the case, if all of these combine to give you the willies, as the bike displays wobbles. There are other causes too.

Frame braces and solid motor mounts (used on Ventures) are often claimed by users to help steering precision.
Great advice. I’m going to start with front forks and end with getting new wheels for radials mainly because of cost. I will make sure tires are in good shape. I did get solid motor mounts with purchase but not installed and heard they are a bit tedious to install. The frame braces seem like they would be worthwhile and couldn’t hurt. Incremental modifications with little downtime is my hope. I ride almost every day during season up here on the blue ridge and don’t want to miss any opportunity. Thanks for the direction. Peace

Back