new V-Max fuel tank - is it a joke?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtyG

Reaction score
So I just read that the Star Max's fuel tank has a mere capacity of 3.96 gal :ummm:

So if our old 1200cc only got about 100 miles out of 4 gal, how many miles do we reckon this 1679cc motor will get out of less than 4??

I thought the engineers were listening to the criticism of the older model's riders, but apparently this is one that slipped through the net. And I didn't see any auxiliary tank in the Yamaha accessories either :rofl_200:

So I just read that the Star Max's fuel tank has a mere capacity of 3.96 gal :ummm:

So if our old 1200cc only got about 100 miles out of 4 gal, how many miles do we reckon this 1679cc motor will get out of less than 4??

I thought the engineers were listening to the criticism of the older model's riders, but apparently this is one that slipped through the net. And I didn't see any auxiliary tank in the Yamaha accessories either :rofl_200:

Customer input is one thing, form and function are another.

Many more wanted the space shuttle on 2 wheels, not a practical commuter.

I'd say the mileage will be around the same per tank. If we ever see a shortage of gas stations, then I will worry.

This machine has one market, and we know what we want. Nothing less than total domination in the straight 1/4 mile line.

For one its a fuel injection with variable timing and I am guessing stock it will get 45MPG so that would be 180 miles on a tank.
Who rides 180 miles on a SPORT CRUIER without stopping?:confused2:

Whats the next question?:ummm:

Why doesnt it have saddle bags?

I want a radio on my VMAX

I am mad that it doesnt have a headlight wiper blade:rofl_200:

For one its a fuel injection with variable timing and I am guessing stock it will get 45MPG so that would be 180 miles on a tank.
Who rides 180 miles on a SPORT CRUIER without stopping?:confused2:

I want a radio on my VMAX

I am mad that it doesnt have a headlight wiper blade:rofl_200:

Agreed!!!!

Can't wait to get my little 154 lb. ass on the rocket!

I often was called a toothpick strapped to a tornado in the day :biglaugh:

:rofl_200:

I guess you forgot to check on your facts m8 - it DOES have saddle bags, a windshield, and even a tail :)surprise:!) bag , however gay they may look :clapping::punk::eusa_dance::whistlin::wacko::th_party39:

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Picture 6.jpg
    Picture 6.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 87
I just filled up my little old B-King yesterday. Went 100-miles on 2.5 gallons of gas...almost all of the miles in horrendous city traffic.

I'll bet money the new Max will go farther on 3.96-gal than the current one does on a full tank...assuming you're driving close to a reasonable speed.

FI and modern engine designs have come a long way.

Read the reviews, most tell that the range is ~100 miles on a tank. Granted they were playing around and hammering it, but even cruise mode won't raise that to much more than 115 miles or so. Besides if you are worried about fuel mileage you are looking at the wrong bike..... go buy a scooter LOL.

I'm hoping we'll get at least the same as the 1st gen Max's for fuel economy but like many have said, who's going to be paying attention to that on this bike!

The better data will be from real people riding the production versions of the bike. I bet the mileage obtained will surprise some folks.

Heck, just eliminating the wobble will help over the Gen 1 bikes. :biglaugh:
If it don't have the wobble then Yankee will never want it!
In all seriousness, the bike is meant for Velocity Maximus, not mileage maximus. It hopefully will be better than the old but if it isn't I dont think too many people will care.:confused2:

If it don't have the wobble then Yankee will never want it!
In all seriousness, the bike is meant for Velocity Maximus, not mileage maximus. It hopefully will be better than the old but if it isn't I dont think too many people will care.:confused2:

Ummm, sorry.....what? I was too distracted by your avatar! The way I want to drive this thing is considering I'll have to know where all the gas stations are within close range!

Hey, how far are you from Bowling Green?

Lankee...

Me???

Sorry for the delay...lots of stuff going on around here.

2 1/2 hours give or take to BG. Just 1 town south of Lexington....

We're in Gashville 1 day out of the month for shipping.

Heck, my niece drags us down to Lavergne all the time! Actually we'll be there Tuesday.

Neil

Some of us want to tour this bike. And having owned one for 10 months I can say that there is no long range unless you drive like a LGV driver. And thats not what this bike is about. So the fuel tank needs an upgrade if you want to keep it in the long range zone. Belfast - Dublin in 1.15 with 1 fuel stop.
It could of been under an hour. But with luggage and euro roads, I dont want to be racing to petrol stations. Would rather have that possible 150 mile range and still enjoy all this bike has to offer.

Some of us want to tour this bike. And having owned one for 10 months I can say that there is no long range unless you drive like a LGV driver. And thats not what this bike is about. So the fuel tank needs an upgrade if you want to keep it in the long range zone. Belfast - Dublin in 1.15 with 1 fuel stop.
It could of been under an hour. But with luggage and euro roads, I dont want to be racing to petrol stations. Would rather have that possible 150 mile range and still enjoy all this bike has to offer.

There are some people that that built auxiliary tanks that sit on the rear luggage rack. You can also buy larger tanks, but be prepared to pay big bucks for the replacement upgrade. About $2,600.

From what I can gather from reading posts about the Gen 2, gas mileage is a real issue and may be one of the reasons so many are showing up for sale.

I average 38-40 on my 05 and I do fill always on the 100 mile mark.

I have read reports of 27mpg for the Gen2 and some as low as 23.

Raider owners also have been known to complain about mileage as have many VTX1800 owners.

O

I know this has nothing to do with the Gen-2 fuel range/mileage but since Sean rebuilt my carbs a few weeks ago I'm getting 128 highway miles per tankful before the reserve light comes on. I used to get about 105. Not to mention the fact that the bike is running like a Gen1- vmax should. Crisp throttle response, good mileage, rock steady idle and mad acceleration!!! I should have sent my carbs to him 2 years ago.

Quote Ouchez --> Raider owners also have been known to complain about mileage as have many VTX1800 owners. But they have bigger fuel tanks. I just had the carbs rebuilt on my 02 Max.Got 150 hwy miles on 3 gallons before the reserve light came on.But I was taking it very easy too.:biglaugh: My neighbor has an 09 Max,& he can't get any where near 50 MPG.

O[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Back