New Vmax man cave

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt354

Reaction score
After contemplating building it myself, pricing materials and wanting this done before winter,I contracted a company to come in and put up a small barn on my prepped site. Good thing for Tina, she reminded me how long it took me just to build a container for my gas compressor...lol I can hold my own wrenching but I'm a hack saws and sledge hammer kind of carpenter.
The walls were pre-fabbed. And I got the site dug out, leveled and hand tamped myself. There were plenty of low spots on the property to use the fill on.I had to get below the mossy 8-10 inches to solid gravel. Lots of stumps and roots to remove too. The builders were completely done in about 6 hours. Shingled roof and house type windows installed. I opted for tung & groove kiln dried siding and pressure treated floor joist and plywood. I have it so the double door is only 1 1/2" above ground, so no ramp really needed. I put a 3 coats of stain/preservative on the whole exterior. I's say I could park 10-14 Bikes inside now. But once I bring tools, build a work bench or two and equipment in, plus a wood stove, 3-4 bikes will be about the max. I'm bringing electrical service in (more digging) and looking at insulation types today. Any insulation suggestions appreciated. I might only have enough $$ left to do the roof & doors this year. pis tot follow, of course.
Steve

Post some pictures please. Sounds like a great home for the max.

Polyiso rigid insulation is probably the best R-value per inch but it's not cheap. I'm thinking of using that on a 10 X 20 building I just got.
If you are a Costco member, they have FEIT 2 bulb 4 ft LED fixtures for $20. Life expectancy is 50,000 hours, so your kids will probably be using them, later.

I'm going to do a spray on foam insulation for my shop. Airtight which isn't calculated into the rear R value so it's actually much higher then the advertised amount. A number of other friends had it done to their shops and love it. More expensive then conventional but well worth it and a great payback.

Here's the place we're using (and I am sure there are similar places near you).
http://www.foamwichita.com/spray-fo...YU2K8AhFRXliNX-_zaqYP6Q4Rgwhv0JxoC9aIQAvD_BwE

Sean

The spray in is good stuff just make sure if you use it in the ceiling/ roof you are vented adequately, or spray it on 8" or better directly under your roof sheathing and rafters/ joists, this is the minimum to prevent condensate from heat/ cooling transfer from the attic to the outside, that is what I've been told anyway. You may need more being that you are in much colder climate.
Airtight is good but if you create sealed airtight envelopes that condensation can find you can create future issues, primarily mold. Something to keep in mind. I'm sure the contractors in your area have delt with that issue before. I've seen attic areas with forests of mold on the roof sheathing from improper venting.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Steve-o, I used 4' x 8' sheets of foil faced styrofoam with a Modine Hot Dawg suspended gas heater, warm as toast and very economical heat.

Contacted a local plumbing/heating outfit for prices on the heater & install.....$5,000!! No shit....5 fuckin' thousand dollars! Bought it on line and did the install myself for around $700.

Steve-o, I used 4' x 8' sheets of foil faced styrofoam with a Modine Hot Dawg suspended gas heater, warm as toast and very economical heat.

Contacted a local plumbing/heating outfit for prices on the heater & install.....$5,000!! No shit....5 fuckin' thousand dollars! Bought it on line and did the install myself for around $700.
I
I'm most likely going the same route, insulation wise Dan-o, I do have a natural gas line within 50 ft. So that might doable. Black pipe isn't to expensive. Tks.

Nice work!
Do yourself a favor. Use galvanized/rigid pipe.
You only have to go 6" to the top of the pipe.
Unless you have a backhoe the pvc will be ok at 18" or if it's 120v or less GFCI'd 12" if your not crossing a driveway.

Congrats Steve! I am jealous of your new space! I have 3.5 years left to pay on the house, Gmc K1500, Gmc Terrain and Redbone all paid off. I have a good idea what I want but need to see how my dream garage is going to cost as I want a 5-7 year payoff schedule. I can't wait to see your pictures!

Nice work!
Do yourself a favor. Use galvanized/rigid pipe.
You only have to go 6" to the top of the pipe.
Unless you have a backhoe the pvc will be ok at 18" or if it's 120v or less GFCI'd 12" if your not crossing a driveway.

I'm going to need 220 volt service out there, but will go deep and legal. Tks for your suggestions.
Steve-o

Congrats Steve! I am jealous of your new space! I have 3.5 years left to pay on the house, Gmc K1500, Gmc Terrain and Redbone all paid off. I have a good idea what I want but need to see how my dream garage is going to cost as I want a 5-7 year payoff schedule. I can't wait to see your pictures!

Thanks Brian, I saved for a while before getting it done, and I had to make some compromises of course. I put it in the space I had or it would have been bigger. Outside of the house I hate to owe money to a finance co. I sleep better knowing most stuff is payed for.

Attachments

• 20171128_100625.jpg
    20171128_100625.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 36
  • thumbnail_20171128_110404.jpg
    thumbnail_20171128_110404.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 38
  • thumbnail_20171128_100701.jpg
    thumbnail_20171128_100701.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 35
Love that, cant wait to see it take shape inside. Your man cave is bigger than my whole cabin. Based on the sheer size and glory I have to know, is this more about a man cave, or is this a soft seperation?

:clapping:

Very nice setup Steve. is that 12x16?
It would be a shame to cover up those interior walls with insulation. They look good like that.

Back