New Vmax owner - Pulling flywheel ;/

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osw22

Reaction score
I bought this vmax last week and started to hear the starter slipping and bag of rocks noise began. I didn't hear this when i bought it.

I know the question and subject has been beat to death, but mine won't budge.

I rented the Harmonic puller from advance and used thick, strong washers. I got it on tight with impact and then hit it when a small hammer about 10 times... All this did was bend the outer ring of the inside of the flywheel lip ( magnet ). Did this damage it?

Any ideas/tips? I have read all the threads regarding this that I can find. I will note that I took the flywheel bolt out, but the big nut is still there.. Does that come off?

Also, should I put the flush side of the puller against the flywheel or the "lipped" side?

Edit: It bent the inner magnet part about an 1/8 of an inch in some parts, and crinkled in some others..

Here's what mine looked like with the 3-jaw puller. The puller failed to do the job. Ended up borrowing an OTC Stinger Harmonic Balancer Puller
At any rate, sounds like you are in need of a new flywheel. Post a pic of it. Contact Sean (one2dmax). He might be able to help you out with a repair or replacement.

270830_2054583241595_2073810_n.jpg

As long as the stator clears the magnet, will it be ok?

Also, does the puller need to be flush against the flywheel?

The puller needs to be flush enough to have a good grip on the flywheel. Check with on of the experts on the flywheel, myself I would not use a bent flywheel.

Here's what mine looked like with the 3-jaw puller. The puller failed to do the job. Ended up borrowing an OTC Stinger Harmonic Balancer Puller
At any rate, sounds like you are in need of a new flywheel. Post a pic of it. Contact Sean (one2dmax). He might be able to help you out with a repair or replacement.

270830_2054583241595_2073810_n.jpg
You ended up borrowing the puller & the operator.:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

IMG_20120531_195903.jpg

Not the best picture, but you can see where it was pressed in around the edges and some crinkles on the inner radius. Also the yellow/orange stuff behind the magnet cover is showing in some spots.

I put it back together ( never got the fly wheel off, but wanted to see what happened if I put it back together ).

It still makes the bag of rocks noise and kind of sounds like a small knock or such near the block, real faint.. Not sure if the noise was there previously or not.

How much would a flywheel cost? Tight budget...

I'm not sure I would worry much abuot that flywheel. The inner metal shield is all I see damaged. You probably still have the loose bolts or cracked starter clutch to fix though.

So i took my Max to the shop to have the starter clutch bolts tightened. Two weeks later and the thing is making that 'jar of rocks' sound again. what the hell, man? Doesn't do it all the time and seems to do it less when the motor is hot. I'm baffled...

So i took my Max to the shop to have the starter clutch bolts tightened. Two weeks later and the thing is making that 'jar of rocks' sound again. what the hell, man?
sounds like the shop didn't peen the bolts and/or thread-loc them.

Doesn't do it all the time and seems to do it less when the motor is hot. I'm baffled...
maybe the engine is providing more resistance to turn, causing the starter clutch to have to grab more or something?

Or the starter clutch is cracked. Did you get NEW bolts or tighten the stripped ones that were already in there? Trust me that the old ones will be stripped a little bit.

Sean

Mine is making the noise again and I loc-tited the hell out of them.. They did appear to be slightly stripped, but nothing major. Clutch looked to be in good shape aswell.. I'm betting the bolts have came loose again.

How do you peen bolts? I watched your video sean, but not sure how to do it.

Mine is making the noise again and I loci-tited the hell out of them.. They did appear to be slightly stripped, but nothing major. Clutch looked to be in good shape as well.. I'm betting the bolts have came loose again.

How do you peen bolts? I watched your video Sean, but not sure how to do it.

Sean Morley is the Last Word when it comes to V-max maintenance, but if he has no objection, take your flywheel to a welding shop, and have them put a tack-weld on each bolt end, after you have re-tightened them. Should not loosen up again!
Cheers!

Back