New Wheel Possibility

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one2dmax

Staff member
Reaction score
looks like we may be doing some new wheels before too long if everything works out. Can't make any promises yet but we are working on it! Not sure what patterns we are going to make yet but it may be possible to have a custom pattern made to order. We will of course try to offer the pattern that the stock wheels currently use. The wheels are very thick like RC Comps so not as light as I would like. BUT, this pattern I plan to do for myself should lighten it up considerable.

Let me know what you think and what you think a "fair" price would be.

Attachments

• Custom Wheel.jpg
    Custom Wheel.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 269
Sweet looking pattern Sean! You mention if all goes well that you may be even offering custom patterns, another bit of great news!
So, I will pose the question that immediately pops into my mind; since there may be a custom option, will there be a 17" and 18" offerings?
I'm sure there will be interest here due to the positive results reported by those that have upgraded to radials. I think a sub $1800 set would appeal to more Vmaxers looking to install radials.
Not sure what a custom set would bring especially if they were made exclusive.

very interested myself in a front 18 x 3 or 3.5 for reasonable price.

i'll be honest for me under $600 is fair since for $600 i can just get a weld up. but thats coming from someone who may not understand the cost of machining a wheel from scratch.

I'm a long way yet from knowing a price but can get my wheel blanks anytime! I'm confident we'll be doing a set here in the very near future and once we do the first one and figure up the machine time and cost we can move forward with pricing.

We have to get the blanks, Make the hubs, machine the pattern, apply whatever finish we want, and assemble with bearings and misc. Rest assurred that I will not try and get rich off of it but I know it's not going to be super cheap. I do expect it to be cheaper then my competition and hopefully in the same price range we sold the Carrozzeria's for.

A one of set is going to be more especially if the customer wants that exact design to be specific to his bike and not resold to another customer.

Sean

I was thinking that if a rear (5.5") could be made to match up to a '85 front that would be a inexpensive combo that would look sweet and unique to the Vmax. I know that the '85 already has a matching 15" wheel but to lighten it up a bit by making a close match to the front wheel then add radials to the mix..:thumbs up::thumbs up:

I would love a set of wheels that looked like this but were lightweight

thumbnail.aspx

First off I'm bumping Redbones post. We need an 18 inch rear we can put a decent sport radial on and a match to the 85 five spoke has been a fantasy of mine for some time. I never thought our rear wheels ever complemented the fronts. We already have "maxdaddys" Uffoos wobbler and sportmax that all make a 17 and 18 wheel machined like the late model fronts. They are god awful expensive! I think one off custom bolt on wheels for a Max should be $1,200 a rear and $800 a front. Try not to curb your "one offs" guys. If multiple runs are gonna be made like a rear matching our 85 fronts, it should blow the rest of these other wheel guys out of the water. Those fugly rears out of Michigan were $600 a pop and offset and nasty looking. I would expect a Muscle wheel to be complete and top notch quality. I would hope /dream /wish for $800+ a rear and $500 a front. Now that's on a run of thirty/ forty or more of the same thing. Obviously a short run of five to ten should cost more (1,000 a rear 750 a front). The price should reflect the mans effort. Don't go thinking you'll get a set of limited production Vmax specific wheels for a grand. That's just not worth a guys effort....unless, some one has the (dare I say it) Chinese connection. They're building model airplanes over their that compete with the finest custom handbuilt models available here. Everyone should price out some "Taylormade" wheels from the UK and their prices. Yeah, gimme a 18x5.5-6.5 rear that matches front so I can get some decent radial rubber. I can already find radials for my stock fronts. One man, one vote

looks like we may be doing some new wheels before too long if everything works out. Can't make any promises yet but we are working on it! Not sure what patterns we are going to make yet but it may be possible to have a custom pattern made to order. We will of course try to offer the pattern that the stock wheels currently use. The wheels are very thick like RC Comps so not as light as I would like. BUT, this pattern I plan to do for myself should lighten it up considerable.

I'd take a set. Just like the picture. Preferably polished or chrome. 18x5.5 rear, 18x3.5 front. I was resigned to buying some RC comps, in the next couple months, but I'll wait now. $1,800 complete ready to bolt on, I would be happy with.

We sell the RC's too but if we can get this to work I think it will open up a lot more possibilities. The wheels won't need to be done in big qtys. The biggest cost/time consuming issue will be the initial design time.

What I meant by more expensive would be if someone wanted a wheel that was designed just for them like a copywritten deal.

I don't see a problem making something similar to the front but keep in mind we will have to still use a hub to drive the rear and it's going to need to be stronger to hold up to the stresses that it might see.

The old 2 spoke wheel is a race only RC and i've seen those suckers get bent at the drags when the non slick bikes come down too hard. I don't think it would hold up well on the street.

Sean

Cool!

No chance to tell me what brand they are? :biglaugh:

They will be "Our" brand since they will come to us as raw blanks and we will make all the adapters and any patterns cut into them.

Sean

Sounds like a great product idea, Sean. My only contribution to the process is to suggest making at least one turnkey set, where the buyer won't have to come through 20 threads on this board to get all the hardware that he/she might need to complete the install. Simple, damnit. :biglaugh:

Oh, and don't forget the Gen2! A set for the new Max, and one with a 240 option for the rear that could be selected would be cool, too. (Just thinking how a set of red ones would look on an '09???)

Might have to work on that! I can get blanks in a shit ton of sizes/widths so shouldn't be an issue there!

Radial Forged - Available Sizes in the blanks. Lips are Rolled so from the outside have a smooth transition. I believe these are the same Wheel blanks that are used by the same people making UFO wheels.

16 x 3.5
16 x 5.5
17 x 12
17 x 3.5
17 x 6.25
18 x 10
18 x 10.5
18 x 13
18 x 3.5
18 x 4.25
18 x 5.5
18 x 8.5
19 x 2.15
19 x 3.0
20 x 10
20 x 7
21 x 2.15
21 x 3.25
23 x 3.75
26 x 3.75
30 x 4.0

i'll take a 30x 4.0 rear and a 20x10 front please!

Garrett, you are one funny guy! I did bust a nut when I saw the 18x8.5 size. Oh the possibilities! Start making shavings Sean!

Latest posts

Back