New Wheels/Tires - Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinkydau444

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've done some searching through the forum because I would like to upgrade to radial tires next season. I just want to make sure I have the facts straight and possibly get a few questions answered.

1. The stock rear wheel is too small to accept radial tires, so I need to upgrade to a 17" or 18" wheel correct? Are there wheels out there that fit the VMax that aren't custom? I really could care less about looks right now. I want a cheap rear wheel that fits (I can't see myself spending more than $600 just for the ability to upgrade to the radial tires)

2. I also just wanted to make sure that the stock front wheel is large enough to accept radial tires.

Pretty much, I'm thinking I will look for 17" rear motorcycle wheels, and once I get one I will put new radial tires on the stock front and the new rear. Do you see any major problems with this aside from your judgement on the looks of the bike?

If it's just not gonna happen the way I envision it, let me know.

I too would like to upgrade and could use some staight fact aswell ,,,,thanx guys

You will have a hard time finding a rear wheel for $600 unless you get a used one. Your best bet would be to contact Przemek (Satariel666). He has done a few conversions and has a good price. Not sure if he is still doing them or not.

There are other options but they are not cheap.

Sean sells RC wheels and looks like he has a deal coming up for the Carrozzeria wheels as well.

Cycle one off will convert a wheel to fit

Kosman will convert a wheel to fit

PVM sells wheels for the vmax

Galespeed

Taylor made

Exactrep

Otec

Over Racing

You can put a radial on the OEM front wheel without problems.

the front canNOT go bigger than 110 radial on a stock rim, fyi.

the front canNOT go bigger than 110 radial on a stock rim, fyi.

Dont be so dramatic Garret, thats just NOT recomended! :biglaugh:

And yes, I can offer a rim(thx Mike) and will be having 6" wide for sell.
Im afraid this could be last from my hands (at lest Ill find someone to handle the welding which no one could handle as far) and the interest is very serious.

I have a killer comming - cbr929 6 spoker - man this one looks totaly sick!

haha true. it just cupss the tire so much your contact patch is almost nill making the bike handle a little funky.

haha true. it just cupss the tire so much your contact patch is almost nill making the bike handle a little funky.

Aw, you guys with the fat front tire!! :biglaugh: You'd run a 300 up there if it would fit....I swear!! Go with a skinny little front tire, keep your rotating mass down, avoid the wobble!! :rofl_200:

+1, no matter how good is the front tire it doesn't stick perfectly.
I won't put a 120 anymore on stock wheel, I'll rather put a bias shinko if I cannot find a 110.

Aw, you guys with the fat front tire!! :biglaugh: You'd run a 300 up there if it would fit....I swear!! Go with a skinny little front tire, keep your rotating mass down, avoid the wobble!! :rofl_200:

300 in front ? with the same on the back no need for the side stand :rofl_200:
not sure the bike can take a curve after that :biglaugh:

Dont be so dramatic Garret, thats just NOT recomended! :biglaugh:

And yes, I can offer a rim(thx Mike) and will be having 6" wide for sell.
Im afraid this could be last from my hands (at lest Ill find someone to handle the welding which no one could handle as far) and the interest is very serious.

I have a killer comming - cbr929 6 spoker - man this one looks totaly sick!
Prez, can you clarify that? Do you mean a radial on the stock front rim isn't recommended?

Hey all,
1. The stock rear wheel is too small to accept radial tires, so I need to upgrade to a 17" or 18" wheel correct? Are there wheels out there that fit the VMax that aren't custom? I really could care less about looks right now. I want a cheap rear wheel that fits (I can't see myself spending more than $600 just for the ability to upgrade to the radial tires)

2. I also just wanted to make sure that the stock front wheel is large enough to accept radial tires.

Pretty much, I'm thinking I will look for 17" rear motorcycle wheels, and once I get one I will put new radial tires on the stock front and the new rear. Do you see any major problems with this aside from your judgement on the looks of the bike?

If it's just not gonna happen the way I envision it, let me know.

I went through the same thing when I did my conversion to radials, couldn't figure out what is the best/cheapest way of doing this. Here's what I learned.

It really depends on what direction you plan to take as far as suspension goes. If you plan on keeping the stock forks than the cheapest way to get into radials would be to convert your existing rear wheel and just put a radial on the stock front rim. I think Kosman does it for around $700 than you have the cost of radial tires. There is really no way to do this for $600 unless you find a used wheel already converted. There are not many of them out there but they do pop up from time to time. Than put a set of progressive springs up front and most of your handling issues will be solved.

If you plan on upgrading your front suspention with inverted forks at some point than get a 17inch rear wheel coverted. (Prez does really good work and his prices are very good even when you add shipping). You can fit up to a 190 tired in the stock swingarm.

From what I've read a 110 is what most people on here recommend on the stock front, however there are few who are running 120 with no issues so it should work just fine.

Me personally I have to have front wheel match the rear, don't know why but I just couldn't live with two mismatched wheels.

Also, keep in mind that if you do go with 17 inch in the back your RMPs will go up and you will notice that at highways speeds. There are ways to offset that but it means more $$$.

[QUOTE
I have a killer comming - cbr929 6 spoker - man this one looks totaly sick![/QUOTE]

Something like this?

Attachments

• (16) rear wheel installed (right side - closeup).jpg
    (16) rear wheel installed (right side - closeup).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 99
I've run 130 radial on front stock wheel with no problems, and no ill handling effects.

Over the years I've seen most front tires cup long before they wear out of tread, some mfgr. and or tread patterens do it worse than others. The Avon Venom I have now, still a 130/70 but on aftermarket wheel, is coming the closest of any to wearing out the tread without cupping. No wobble or weave either.

Garrets right tho' the 130 has a noticeably "heavier" feel to it, even if it doesn't weave or wobble, the rotating mass increases the gyro effect and does make it a little less "flickable" in my judgement. The trade off is that if it's et up right and balanced right the additional rotating mass stabilizes the front, making that "less flickable" equate to "more stable"

Elders, please advise me. I am a beginner with 400 miles of logged experience on my max. I need tires and I am looking at this setup .. Is this OK for me? I;m assuming it's a straight forward install with no mods needed. Anything to worry about or something else I should be looking at? Thank you!
METZELER.jpg

Back