new Xenon bulb or drag specialties diamond clear lens

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolmax

Reaction score
I rode the other night and was supprised how crappy the stock the stock light is (and ugly too). Any tried the diamond clear lens from drag specialties? Is it a pos or does it actually work? I'm looking for better night vision plus the clear lens would give a little updated look.

You can try a higher rated bulb like a 55/ 100, add a relay kit, or go with a HID setup. You can do a search and find the best HID's that have been installed by forum members with great results.
There are also places to get a larger headlight housing (7") but be warned, to go to this site has been known to trigger your inner mod monkey! :biglaugh:

goto advance auto, get the sylvannia silverstar ultra. the thing is BRIGHT. about $35 a pop but well worth it!

goto advance auto, get the sylvannia silverstar ultra. the thing is BRIGHT. about $35 a pop but well worth it!

Thats what I am considering or the clear diamond lens (with bulb) from Drag Spec. at $40. I wanted to know if anyone here had any experience with one of their lens/lamp assemblies. I put the silverstar ultra's in my wifes car and it made a huge difference. I would imagine Drag puts some cheapo bulbs in their lens kits to keep cost down but thought someone who has used one might have some actual input on them. I kinda wanted to the clear lens, it looks a little more modern, but mostly intersted in seeing horned critters lurking on the sides of the roads. Hell, maybe I'll just buy both! LOL

anyone thats rode with me knows the bulb is bright, and u don't have to worry about overheating or re-doing wiring.

the light has a usualy 7k miles life i've found. but i run high beams all the time.

I don't believe that the Drag Specialites lamp lens won't be plug and play.

But, I bet you can buy one and make it work:eusa_dance:

I adapted/modded a similar clear diamond style lens to the existing stock inner headlamp hardware. It wasn't easy, but well worth the $40 in brightness and updated looks.

Attachments

• IMG_3187.jpg
    IMG_3187.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3188.jpg
    IMG_3188.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 52
Quotegamorg02;190665] "anyone thats rode with me knows the bulb is cheap, and u don't have to worry about overheating or re-doing wiring.

the light has a usualy 7k miles life i've found. but i run high beams all the time"

Are you still talking about the Silverstar Ultra? If so, why do you say "cheap"( $35.00!)
I converted to a 7" Hella lens, but I'm really dissapointed in the light output, using a conventional 55/60 bulb. I'd rather not go the H.i.D. route, if all it will take for improvement is a different bulb. As far as bulb life goes, that wouldn't be as much as a problem, because I shut down the headlight during the day,and use two very bright driving lights instead.
Cheers, Miles

I have the stock lens, eastern beaver H4 relay kit(plug and play) and a Ebay 55/ 100 bulb. I first tried the silverstar and it was way better than stock, but them my brother put silver stars in his '03 FZ1 and his was brighter than mine. Not to be outdone I picked up the relays and then mine was brighter again. Then just for the hell of it I added the 55/ 100 bulb and it blows his away now.
I put the ebay bulb in last June expecting the $12 for 2 bulbs would burn out or break rather quickly but it hasn't, I still have the second bulb. :eusa_dance:
The sliverstar lasted a little over 2 years for me and I ran it on high beams most of the time during the day.

I just swapped the stock bulb for an ebay 55/100w one. "allcatzlights" sells them for a couple bucks each, and I've had one in my bike for going on 10k miles now and no problem. I run it on highbeam all the time except for night time traffic. No relay, haven't had any problems with the extra wattage heating up wires or anything. The highbeam is phenomenal and it's a 5 minute direct plug and play. Much better than stock.

I still don't really trust the bargain HID kits. If the ballast takes a dump(and I've heard of this happening several times) you now have no light....at least with a bulb if one filament goes out you still have the other as a backup. There was a bit of a fiasco on my old Magna forum of a member/vendor who started selling motorcycle HID conversion kits for like $50. A bunch of people bought them, a bunch of them failed in short order, and then the guy vanished when people started asking for refunds. One guy got stranded out in the middle of nowhere at night and had to drive like 100 miles on the marker lamps.

Quotegamorg02;190665] "anyone thats rode with me knows the bulb is cheap, and u don't have to worry about overheating or re-doing wiring.

the light has a usualy 7k miles life i've found. but i run high beams all the time"

Are you still talking about the Silverstar Ultra? If so, why do you say "cheap"( $35.00!)
I converted to a 7" Hella lens, but I'm really dissapointed in the light output, using a conventional 55/60 bulb. I'd rather not go the H.i.D. route, if all it will take for improvement is a different bulb. As far as bulb life goes, that wouldn't be as much as a problem, because I shut down the headlight during the day,and use two very bright driving lights instead.
Cheers, Miles

because i'm an idiot and i meant to write 'bright' haha

So if i go with the silverstar ultra i wont have to put in a relay

2005 #1242 vmonster

sarge

ps i have yet to take it to 6.5 rpm top speed 65 lol

must be somthing wrong....with me:bang head:

I just swapped the stock bulb for an ebay 55/100w one. "allcatzlights" sells them for a couple bucks each, and I've had one in my bike for going on 10k miles now and no problem. I run it on highbeam all the time except for night time traffic. No relay, haven't had any problems with the extra wattage heating up wires or anything. The highbeam is phenomenal and it's a 5 minute direct plug and play. Much better than stock.
I still don't really trust the bargain HID kits. If the ballast takes a dump(and I've heard of this happening several times) you now have no light....at least with a bulb if one filament goes out you still have the other as a backup. There was a bit of a fiasco on my old Magna forum of a member/vendor who started selling motorcycle HID conversion kits for like $50. A bunch of people bought them, a bunch of them failed in short order, and then the guy vanished when people started asking for refunds. One guy got stranded out in the middle of nowhere at night and had to drive like 100 miles on the marker lamps.

Redbone, Rawarrior-
Think I'll get a couple of those 55/100 bulbs. Can't go wrong for the price, and I share the same concerns about HID failures - Miles
Garret - anyone with over 8700 posts cannot be considered an "idiot". On the contrary , you are one of the most enthusiastic and valuable contributors to this forum. Keep rollin' on. - Miles "Dr. Phil" Long

So if i go with the silverstar ultra i wont have to put in a relay

2005 #1242 vmonster

sarge

ps i have yet to take it to 6.5 rpm top speed 65 lol

must be somthing wrong....with me:bang head:

correct the silverstar ultra is bolt right in. never had any melting or anything!

Redbone, Rawarrior-
Think I'll get a couple of those 55/100 bulbs. Can't go wrong for the price, and I share the same concerns about HID failures - Miles
Garret - anyone with over 8700 posts cannot be considered an "idiot". On the contrary , you are one of the most enthusiastic and valuable contributors to this forum. Keep rollin' on. - Miles "Dr. Phil" Long

def can't go wrong with the price man, to each their own, that was just my choice.

i appreciate the kudos. thnx bro! altho i disagree, lots of posts don't mean jack, i hope i contribute where i can.

I don't believe that the Drag Specialites lamp lens won't be plug and play.

But, I bet you can buy one and make it work:eusa_dance:

I adapted/modded a similar clear diamond style lens to the existing stock inner headlamp hardware. It wasn't easy, but well worth the $40 in brightness and updated looks.

Sharp lookin bike!

Thanks everbody for your input. I stopped on my way home from work today and picked up a sylvannia ultra.
I'll hold off on the lens and try to check one out in person later.

Im surprise more of you guys dont run a Hella E Code housing with a 55\60- watt bulb.

I run these in my car and they are SUPERB.
http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=350

Better than any silverstar sealed beam or stock round light I have ever seen. Plus they have a cut off and I hear work pretty well with HID's if you use a D2R bulb.

Also available with a city light.
http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=487
So if you want to get really adventurous, You can disable the main beam while maintaining a running light.

"Im surprise more of you guys dont run a Hella E Code housing with a 55\60- watt bulb.
I run these in my car and they are SUPERB.
http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=350

Better than any silverstar sealed beam or stock round light I have ever seen. Plus they have a cut off and I hear work pretty well with HID's if you use a D2R bulb.

Also available with a city light.
http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=487
So if you want to get really adventurous, You can disable the main beam while maintaining a running light."

Sam-
Hella E Code is what I bought to replace the G.E. sealed beam I originally was using, after converting to a 7" headlight housing. I'm not pleased at all - the sealed beam was as bright, if not brighter, than the Hella.
What MAKE of 55/60 bulb are you using in your car Hellas? And have you ever checked the voltage at the bulb connectors? This may be part of my problem - I've done some mods to the headlight circuit, so I'm not getting full battery voltage to the headlight, but how much less is still acceptable?
Cheers, Miles

Sam-
Hella E Code is what I bought to replace the G.E. sealed beam I originally was using, after converting to a 7" headlight housing. I'm not pleased at all - the sealed beam was as bright, if not brighter, than the Hella.
What MAKE of 55/60 bulb are you using in your car Hellas? And have you ever checked the voltage at the bulb connectors? This may be part of my problem - I've done some mods to the headlight circuit, so I'm not getting full battery voltage to the headlight, but how much less is still acceptable?
Cheers, Miles

Hella H4's in the car.

I have never checked the voltage in the car. If its not bright enough on the bike, then the wiring could be the culprit.

went to ADVANCED had several ultras what bulb is it that i should get

thanks guys

sarge

WOLFIE, it's the Sylvania SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2. I picked up a double bulb pack for a great price at Advance Auto a couple months ago. Tried them and true as everyone has said on this forum ... these bulbs work great as a direct plug-in replacement for the stock bulb; much brighter.

Latest posts

Back