New York exhaust noise law: $1,000 fine

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The technology is there to have drones flying around listening out for noisey exhausts fitted with number plate recognition cameras, and for second violation laser beams or machine guns.

Here in Georgia, it's laughable.

The law states that you can't have any exhaust that causes "loud or excessive" noise. BUT (and there's always a but) they don't define what that noise level is in decimals.

It's entirely subjective and left to the discretion of the officer.

So if you're running your old Ford F100 pickup down the road on open headers, and officer Opey thinks it's cool, you're good to go.

But if you're running a UFO Quadzilla exhaust system and officer Janice doesn't like loud motorcycles, you'll get a ticket.

Doesn't the UK have roadside db meters and license plate cameras?

We already have metering of noise at racecourses for cars and motorcycles, at Laguna Seca and I think at Loudon, probably elsewhere. Maybe Elkhart Lake?

Most police hear the KERKER coming and just wish they had one if them ! I have heard talk about no aftermarket exhaust coming to this shitty state so i guess we'll have to see how to slip around that stupid law as well as many others they have made up for us. WE don't all comply to stupidity from the tyrants we just get more creative .

Doesn't the UK have roadside db meters and license plate cameras?
No dB meters yet so please don't give them ideas!!!!! .

To drive or ride on race tracks requires the exhaust noise to be under a set amount, 95 dB or 98 dB spring to mind. I don't know if it is different for cars and motorcycles.

When I put my kit car* through SVA# the exhaust noise was measured at a predifined position at stipulated RPM and cannot exceed that.

* Here we can build our own cars and have them registered for use on the road providing they meet construction and other requirements such as noise and engine emissions, depending on engine age.

# SVA has been replaced by IVA

Latest posts

Back