New York hospitality

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max_caper

Reaction score
My wife and I decided to take a little vacation from Ontario, Canada. I have great memories from previous trips to New York when I met Vmax riders Bill and Chris from this forum so a return trip to see the Finger lakes was an easy decision. Out of necessity we had to take the van this time as we planned on shopping for some larger items. On day 2 as we finished hiking on South Hill Road near Middlesex our van decided to quit.

A couple who were walking by, Ken and Nance, asked if they could help. We couldn't get the van to start so they invited us into their home and gave us refreshments which was awesome because it was up in the 90's this Tuesday past! My cell phone was no help in this area so Ken and Nance allowed us to use their phone to call CAA/AAA and recommended a local business, Bob's Alignment, to help heal our van.

Josh arrived promptly and had our van towed to Bob's Alignment in Naples and we chatted about the huge windmills up on the hill-top. Paul, the owner of the shop, was unable to get us the needed part that day; understandable since it was already mid-afternoon. My wife and I had not made arrangements to stay a 3rd night so Paul himself got on the phone and found us some options for rooms in the area. While we decided where to stay we had some icecream at Lynnie Lou's. The staff there were awesome and the treats were fantastic.

Paul gave us a loaner car for the night and also some great info on what to do, see, and where to eat while in Naples. On his advice we visited Grimes Glen, The Moore winery, and had excellent coffee and bagels at the Grainery. We had a nice night's stay at the Naples Hotel but didn't see any ghost! The next day we took the "high road" and caught a fantastic view of Canandaigua Lake.

Across from the hotel I noticed a sweet looking Gen-2 Vmax so I went over and started talking to the owner. Turns out the Vmax owner is Rons09 from this forum and we had a great chat!

Paul had our van fixed up at a very reasonable cost. Not long afterwards Ron calls my cellphone hoping that we had all our automotive issues fixed and suggested a get-together but we had already driven as far as Geneva on our way to Watertown and then the Canadian border.

I often hear about how nice Canadians are and I do appreciate that we are known for this. I would have to say that the hospitality that my wife and I received on our trip to New York was top shelf and every bit as warm and inviting as any I have experienced in my travels in Canada.

Looking forward to my next visit!

Cheers!

Blaine

I'm glad that you had such a positive experience. Hearing things like that make me forget, for awhile, at-least, the psychopaths who kidnap women and keep them hostage, or kill multiples of people.

Canandaigua Lake is beautiful, I used to spend summers there, and have many great memories of the area. The Finger Lakes are one of the most scenic areas. I spent many fall days at Watkins Glen where I saw legends like Jim Clark, Graham Hill, John Surtees, Dan Gurney, Lorenzo Bandini, Jack Brabham, and many others during the Formula 1 races.

I hope you choose to visit again, we need the tourism! I have been in Montreal on multiple vacations, and always was graciously-treated. I especially liked my visit to a cabin de sucre, which was one of the best meals I ever had.

I would say you lucked out myself.... I have lived in this area my whole life and most people I have met are stand-offish, untrusting, and gerneraly dont care to help others. New Yorkers and hospitality dont see them words together much if ever. I am however glad you got the help you needed:clapping:

The people I spoke to around Middlesex and Naples were very friendly. I met a few folks at the scenic lookout at Canandaigua Lake who struck up a conversation with me. On a previous ride into Geneva when my GPS battery gave out a local motorist kindly gave me maps. This is my 5th trip into western New York state and the people I meet have been very nice which is a big reason why I keep on going back there.

BTW, what is FRACK? I saw quite a few signs in Naples with the words "stop frack"but the one time I happened to ask a local person about it, she didn't know what it meant!

Cheers!

Blaine

Thanks for the info on fracking. Good article! Josh, the fellow who towed our van into Naples, told us that folks are similarly divided on the large windmills in their area.

I appreciate the invite to Icebreaker...sounds like a blast!

Cheers!

Blaine

Blaine, I was so glad to meet you last week in naples. I wish I knew you were staying over . I have an extra bedroom at my house and I would have loved to gone to dinner with you and mora. My wife really wanted to meet you. I was on my way to an appointment and I stopped to get my hunting license when I ran into you. I was concerned when I got home that everything went well for you so I called Paul who runs Bob's Aligment and he said you just left there 30 min. before I called and you were all set and that you were good people. When you decide to come back next time, call me and we'll definitely get together. There's lots to see around here.
Ron

Blaine, I was so glad to meet you last week in naples. I wish I knew you were staying over . I have an extra bedroom at my house and I would have loved to gone to dinner with you and mora. My wife really wanted to meet you. I was on my way to an appointment and I stopped to get my hunting license when I ran into you. I was concerned when I got home that everything went well for you so I called Paul who runs Bob's Aligment and he said you just left there 30 min. before I called and you were all set and that you were good people. When you decide to come back next time, call me and we'll definitely get together. There's lots to see around here.
Ron

Great to meet you too, Ron! Thanks for checking up on Laura and I...Paul took excellent care of us! We look forward to us next visit, We would love to meet you and your wife and we'll be sure to call ahead and let you know we'll be in the area.

Cheers!

Blaine

I would say you lucked out myself.... I have lived in this area my whole life and most people I have met are stand-offish, untrusting, and gerneraly dont care to help others. New Yorkers and hospitality dont see them words together much if ever. I am however glad you got the help you needed:clapping:

Ha ha......sounds like it may be you. :rofl_200:

Ha ha......sounds like it may be you. :rofl_200:
Hardly the amount of people I deal with from all walks of life due to what I do for a living... my oppion is my own and still stands for me.
I just got back from Florida now that place is full of nice people with manners and all but, it has been my experience that the south is far more hospitable.

Hardly the amount of people I deal with from all walks of life due to what I do for a living... my oppion is my own and still stands for me.
I just got back from Florida now that place is full of nice people with manners and all but, it has been my experience that the south is far more hospitable.

Having-lived in western NY for nearly 20 yrs & So. FL for > 2X that, I have experience in both.

I don't know what the phenomenon's name is, but I sometimes feel the people where I visit are better-mannered and more-friendly than where I live. I'll call it, Visitor's Infatuation, Subjective Impression Takeaway, or VISIT.

I think the root of this lies-in being receptive to the behavior of others because it's a different venue than where you currently live and work. Significant physical separation plays a part. Certainly someone raised on the NY Western Tier who visits NYC is going to have different experiences than if he stays in his rural community of 2000 residents.

Since the interactions of being in a different location are each unique because of geography, your subjective impression is skewed to want-to be accepted by the people in another location, and your behavior comes-across as 'friendly.' Most people respond 'in-kind,' unless they are criminals, sociopaths, or manipulative and avaricious. Behavior by these types of people are usually obvious, and the prudent person uses caution once their perception of the dyad (interaction of two people) is that conflict or lack of safety is imminent or occurring. Sociopaths can often be charming and very manipulative, and may look for ways to place you 'off-guard,' so they may victimize you. Think of 'Buffalo Bill' in Silence of the Lambs wearing a cast, and trying to remove a couch from his van. The targeted victim takes-pity on the hapless, wounded, struggling predator, and soon becomes yet-another victim, being fattened for the skin-harvesting for 'Buffalo Bill's' gruesome skin-suit (look-up Ed Gein, a real-life 'Buffalo Bill' http://www.biography.com/people/ed-gein-11291338). Ted Bundy, the notorious executed FL serial-killer, used a similar maneuver.

I think people in So. FL are generally as-friendly as anywhere-else. Because there is such a variety of people from all-over the world who converge here, you have to learn to integrate to survive. I think in rural parts of FL where the families may tend to stay-put for generations, the acceptance of 'outsiders' is not-as likely to-occur. If your economy relies on tourism, as Florida's does in the urban areas, then you better-hope that your employees promote positive VISIT interactions, constantly. Employers like Disney and Publix (Publix is a FL-based grocery chain) know the importance of this, they work at-it constantly, and have enjoyed great economic success from it.

So when you visit another geographic location, I submit that we are receptive to social interactions being positive, we are on our 'best-behavior,' and carry-away VISIT memories of, 'they're nicer here than where I live!'

Just beware of strangers wearing plaster casts who are struggling with moving furniture.:2gunsfiring_v1:

Lol Fire-medic not my first time there or the south been there a lot over the years but nice thought thanks

Back