Newbie 2nd gear fear!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edharrison

Reaction score
Hi,
First post as I am picking up a 98 VMAX next week, brother had one years ago with no real serious issues, great forum with so much info.

My fear is even if second gear is fine now (14k miles looked after) is it so common that failure is inevitable? Looking through this seems to come up time and time again but I wonder how common this is?

Here in the UK I do not know of anyone like Sean who is known for doing the fix which by the way is way beyond my skill level, dont really want to budget this in to the buying price!

Thanks - Ed - Surrey UK

Ed,

Others who have had the issue will chime in but I have 52,000 miles on my 1985 and have not had an issue with 2nd gear, or anything. The only maintenance I've done has been the normally scheduled consumable items (brakes, spark plugs, battery, fluids & filters, tires, fork seals, etc.) plus the rusting mufflers were replaced with OEM mufflers. BTW, the valves have been checked many times but all of them have their original shims.

Good luck.

Norm

Thanks Norm, that helps as we only hear bad stuff on forums, sadly not too many of us post when things are good!

Ed

The 2nd gear can affect any year at any mileage. BUT, it's normally due to operator error. Many bikes have very high miles with no problems at all.
Sean

It's really up to you and how you ride your bike. Hammer it into 2nd a lot? save up for repairs. Take care of your bike and roll on when your friends want to race, in 3rd preferrably, and be telling us how happy you are with your bike someday when the milage is up there high.
It's true of any bike really. There is a lot of fun to be had without damaging the Vmax.
Steve-o

Hi,
First post as I am picking up a 98 VMAX next week, brother had one years ago with no real serious issues, great forum with so much info.

My fear is even if second gear is fine now (14k miles looked after) is it so common that failure is inevitable? Looking through this seems to come up time and time again but I wonder how common this is?

Here in the UK I do not know of anyone like Sean who is known for doing the fix which by the way is way beyond my skill level, dont really want to budget this in to the buying price!

Thanks - Ed - Surrey UK

Hey Newbie,

I have 88,000kms on my 1988 max with no 2nd gear problems.

Go for it.:clapping:

How many miles / kilometres on your bike? (ahh yes, just re-read your post, too much bourbon for me 2 nite)
th_12.gif

Great answers thanks, the one I am buying is a 98 with 14500 miles, one owner in excellent condition. I like going fast (what biker doesnt) but do have mechanical sympathy too!

I will check it out thoroughly but would be interested in any recommendations in the UK for gear work if it is ever needed?

Oh and Sean, thanks for the reply - we need someone like you over here!

Ed

Attachments

• media.jpg
    media.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 24
Hi,

Thanks - Ed - Surrey UK

If it hasn't gone by now then it is unlikely to go.

If you ever need any advice about repaires or fellow Maxer's who can offer help then suggest you post a message on V Max Chat.

You could do a lot worse than SAS Custom Cycles for repairs or some tasty body parts.

The best thing you can do to prevent the 2nd gear problem from popping up later is to always clutch your 1-2 shifts when you're getting on it.

What blows out 2nd is when people are going WOT in first gear, then just haul their foot up and bang it into second which is very hard on 2nd gear. Clutching it (even just fanning the clutch a bit) makes the shift much, much smoother and easier on the transmission.

2nd gear blows out on all sorts of boy-racer bikes. The V65's were known for it as well, the Vmax for sure, but my buddy's R6 had a blown out 2nd gear, and I've heard of some M109's toasting second as well. Like Sean said it's poor riding habits, not so much a flaw in the bike.

2nd gear is a problem on lots of big bore Jap bikes.
Opinions differ (slightly) on what the root cause is. I believe that because the box throws out of 2nd under power, it is the 2-3 power shifts that cause the problem.
Everybody agrees however that if you always use the clutch, it probably won't be an issue!

Basically, it's not a v-max only problem, and if you consider that it is from changing gears with gusto, it is just a fact of life! V-max's are more likely to get it than many other bikes because they have a lot of torque, and people love to ride them hard. Therefore, you hear about it more often here.

I never ever power shift 1-2, but after that fun is the ruling factor! :biglaugh:

I had the same problem on a 650 Katana that I had, which just indicates that it had been ridden hard and power shifted a lot.

My '85 did about 50 000 miles before I had to fix it.

2nd gear is a problem on lots of big bore Jap bikes.
Opinions differ (slightly) on what the root cause is. I believe that because the box throws out of 2nd under power, it is the 2-3 power shifts that cause the problem.
Everybody agrees however that if you always use the clutch, it probably won't be an issue!

+1

I've heard the dreaded 2nd gear issue pop up with;
Vmax, XS11, M109, GS1100, KZ900/1000, and most recently a friend's CB1000.

Last edited:
Thanks again, just being cautious as this 13 year old bike is as much as a 4 year old bike in terms of cost.

I believe it belonged to a member of the UK VMAX club as it has this etched on the engine cover. So far it seems to have had progressive springs and slip ons, maybe some other sensible things like wiring crimp but wont know until I pick it up.

It will get fresh engine oil and final drive oil as soon as I get it home and I will post up pics.

Ed

I have over 43,000 miles on my 03 and always get a wheelie shifting into second at WOT using the clutch and have had no tranny issues. I am very careful to shift the bike gently, never jam the gear when shifting!!! it has been my experience the gears are fine, it is the shifting forks that get damaged. The fork spreads out from to much pressure (jamming gears) and this allows to much end play and the gear no longer mates with the others during acceleration. Many years ago on my V65 I stopped at a light in 3rd or 4th and had to get into first quickly, you guessed it, I tried to jam the gears and ended up damaging the 2 gear shifting fork. Man that was an expense lesson. I ride hard but shift very gently.:eusa_dance:

The forks aren't the weak link though they can and should be replaced when fixing the gear.

Sean

Back