Newbie and already needing help.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vachinka

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just purchased a 1995 Vmax and already have issues. Hoping someone can give some assistance here's the problem and thanks:

My vmax I just bought started having starting issues the day after I rode it home. Before that the bike hadn't been ridden much, like a few winter months. I tried to start it but after a few attempts the battery drained. While trying to start, it was cranking so I put the charger on and stupidly left the charger on the battery a little longer than i should have (3) days I forget to take off before leaving for the weekend. I came back the battery area was warm. I took charger off and no power but if i put charger on..power but won't start, didn't even crank. So I put charger on again and power while it seemed to click just fine but that's it. I took charger off again and this time battery seemed ok then after a few attempts its dead..no power whatsoever, could it just be the battery?

TRY new battery and then check voltage with volt meter when off and then running these bikes have other prob's like bad rectifier and so on . Look up how to check voltage from older threads . They really helped me with mine !!

get a MOTORCYCLE TRICKLE CHARGER (Specifically) You can leave that on all the time.

There is a how to in the how to section about how to fix your charging system.

It's complicated.

These bikes are complicated. I'm a noob too. I love my bike but DAMN...complicated.

get a MOTORCYCLE TRICKLE CHARGER (Specifically) You can leave that on all the time.

There is a how to in the how to section about how to fix your charging system.

It's complicated.

These bikes are complicated. I'm a noob too. I love my bike but DAMN...complicated.
That's why you have us johnblaid!:clapping:

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a 1995 Vmax and already have issues. Hoping someone can give some assistance here's the problem and thanks:

My vmax I just bought started having starting issues the day after I rode it home. Before that the bike hadn't been ridden much, like a few winter months. I tried to start it but after a few attempts the battery drained. While trying to start, it was cranking so I put the charger on and stupidly left the charger on the battery a little longer than i should have (3) days I forget to take off before leaving for the weekend. I came back the battery area was warm. I took charger off and no power but if i put charger on..power but won't start, didn't even crank. So I put charger on again and power while it seemed to click just fine but that's it. I took charger off again and this time battery seemed ok then after a few attempts its dead..no power whatsoever, could it just be the battery?

don`t keep trying before you`re sure about the battery or you`ll fry the starter motor too

Thanks guys for all the comments. Luckily this idiot didn't fry more than just the battery. I was told by the Yamaha dealer these V's are finicky about parts especially batteries. (I'm assuming this may be the case with this bike, true?) I got a new one from the dealer for under $80 out the door. It roared right up after install. Also had my first real ride this morning even though it was into work. Oh so much nice ride than my more aggressive positioning of the CBR600RR I sold to buy this 95 Vmax.

Glad you got it fixed. Vmax's aren't finicky....they are like anything else, treat them right and they will treat you right!

Don't forget to check charging system. I had prob's with mine so I read a few threads and fixed my prob's myself and saved some serious doe and of course donated some money to the forum .

Back