Newbie here has a couple of questions.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumbobret

Reaction score
Hi I'm Bret from the Dallas/Fort worth area. Texass Tornado is a good buddy of mine. I bought his 2000 V-Max last week.

Now to the question I have read most of the threads on the R1/R6 RR fix. My question being. Is this mod for a 2000? Is this something that should be done? The crimp wire? The 2000 I got has charging issues. Texass gave me a new stator as well as a new battery. I just want this thing bullet proof when done.

When it comes to the Honda V65 Magna I know them inside and out.

Thanks for your help!

Hi I'm Bret from the Dallas/Fort worth area. Texass Tornado is a good buddy of mine. I bought his 2000 V-Max last week.

Now to the question I have read most of the threads on the R1/R6 RR fix. My question being. Is this mod for a 2000? Is this something that should be done? The crimp wire? The 2000 I got has charging issues. Texass gave me a new stator as well as a new battery. I just want this thing bullet proof when done.

When it comes to the Honda V65 Magna I know them inside and out.

Thanks for your help!

Welcome JB....seen you over on 'V-4'! :punk:

I would certainly recommend the crimp fix, I picked up a full volt, it's showing 14.7v at 4K cruising now.

Can't help you with the R/R tho, never had to mess with that.

Hopefully my sticky linked above will help you out. In it I also detailed the R/R I used, which is similar to the "R1 mod", but the part itself is considerably more compact and works just as well. I worked through the mods in the order I'd suggest you investigate.

Thanks everyone! I did the crimp fix tonight, now to do the stator, then the R/R. I'm also going to upgrade the the battery cables to 4g. Replace the battery and I hope that will take care of all my issues. When I got the bike, I noticed that it just wasn't there. Did some testing. At idle, 4k or not running at all, THE BEST I got was 12.4 :bang head: So that's why all the questions. If it were a Magna, know what to do there. I was putting out 14.7 at 4k :punk: Now I want the same for this!

Thanks everyone! I did the crimp fix tonight, now to do the stator, then the R/R. I'm also going to upgrade the the battery cables to 4g. Replace the battery and I hope that will take care of all my issues. When I got the bike, I noticed that it just wasn't there. Did some testing. At idle, 4k or not running at all, THE BEST I got was 12.4 :bang head: So that's why all the questions. If it were a Magna, know what to do there. I was putting out 14.7 at 4k :punk: Now I want the same for this!

My Magna was the same way...all original everything and it charged perfectly. Go figure. But if you know what to do on a Magna, the Vmax's system is pretty much identical.

If you're going for the "no problems ever again" might want to get an Odyssey battery (PC680) also. Not cheap, but they last virtually forever. Seen ones in cars well over 10 years old and they still test fine, the one in my bike is "at least" 5yrs(was there when I bought it, and when the p/o got it from the original) and it's still perfect. Motor cranks like a top, I still have the original battery cables. I just put 4ga wires in my truck to connect a 1050amp battery to a 5.4l V8.....seems a bit overkill for a 200a motorcycle.

Ok did I miss something here? Looking for the Yamaha part number for the R1/R6 R/R. I want to go get one today (Friday) really don't want to wait a week going thru internet. I don't know what year or part number to ask for at Yamaha.

Back