Newbie question about Vmax paper storage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chev4wd

Reaction score
OK, I've been lusting for a Vmax since I rode a friends way back in 1992. Just bought a 2002 with under 9k miles Tuesday night. :biglaugh: Had to haul it home in a blizzard but 2 days later it was 70 degrees! What can I say, it's Nebraska. My question is, is there a pouch etc on a Vmax to store my registration and insurance card? Most street bikes I've had have it under one of the side covers but these appear to to bolted on? That wouldn't be very handy while the officer stands there waiting patiently for me to produce my proof of ownership and insurance. I found the tool pouch tucked behind the gas cap under the back seat. Do I just keep the papers in there? Thanks for helping out a new guy.

I keep mine next to my key when I go my paper goes in my wallet . I used to put in tall sissy bar pad unzip fold it in a ziplock bag and zip it back up.. And NO man purses that's for the harley girls..

That's what I'm doing for now too but would rather have it on the bike so it doesn't get forgotten that one time I end up needing it.

I have a front tool bag where I keep my registration inside (also inside a ziploc).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I used to just have my reg and insurance in a ziplock
bag right alongside my gas cap. Then I got a plastic sleeve that had adhesive on the backside so I put on the underside of my airbox cover so if I got pulled over, I just pop open the cover with my key.

I keep mine under the back seat where the OEM Tool pouch goes (I also keep it in a Zip-lock sandwhich bag).

So at least I'm not overlooking an obvious, purpose built, storage spot. Sticking it to the under side of the faux tank seems like a good place to me. It's even locked up in there! The only down side I can see is trying to find a place to set the cover on the side of the road without scratching it while simultaneously trying to talk your way out of the ticket! I have a high probability of success at doing one or the other but multitasking has never been my strong suit.

^ Seriously, just pop the middle seat section open (like when you put in gas) and just slide it in where the OEM Tool kit is stored under the back seat.
Then when (not if) you ever get pulled over, you just get off the bike and pop the middle seat section and grab it.

If you go the route of putting it under the air box cover, see if you can find a computer cd sleeve, it works great and has the sticky on one side. Being in the military, I have to wear a reflective vest, icon, and it has a zippered breast pocket that I keep my documents in.

^ Seriously, just pop the middle seat section open (like when you put in gas) and just slide it in where the OEM Tool kit is stored under the back seat.
Then when (not if) you ever get pulled over, you just get off the bike and pop the middle seat section and grab it.

This is what I do

I keep a set of paperwork in each bag that I might carry. I'm gonna go for the sticky under the faux cover, though. That sounds like a good idea.

Posted with my thumbs.

I bought one of those small locking boxes that go between the license plate and its bracket. About $20 on eBay. Same size as the license plate. Barely noticeable. Just have to keep the key on your bike key ring. Large enough to hold a little more stuff. I sealed my insurance card just in case I got caught in a downpour.

Here is a couple pics of the box mentioned in the above post.

Attachments

• Turnsignal - Rear Right - R.jpg
    Turnsignal - Rear Right - R.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Right - 1-2 - R.jpg
    Right - 1-2 - R.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 47
I carry "Drivers License, Registration and Insurance" in my wallet. I don't go anywhere without my wallet, so even now during this winter I still carry it. I keep my Truck and SUV's registration/ insurance in their respective glove boxes though.
I now also keep a copy of both my trailers registration in the Truck and SUV, since I had a good reminder on the way back from Thunder when I didn't have the trailer registration when I got pulled over. That little lesson cost me over $200, which was coupled with a nice fat speeding ticket courtesy of PA. State Police.

I put my papers in a plastic bag and stick it in the back rest of my oem sissy bar. Works great problem so far.

I think in going to buy ones of those boxes you have cman, looks like a great unobtrusive way to keep your info close. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That box is pretty cool. I could see using one on my trailer too. Even though I pull it with the same truck 90% of the time it never crosses my mind to take the registration when I loan it or pull it with something else.

Back