newbie question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Z

Reaction score
2000 V-Max (13k miles on the engine). what final drive oil should i use? what engine oil should i use?

The new owner FAQ covers engine oil but not gear oil.
80w-90 GL-4 rated gear oil is what the old manual calls for in the rear differential.
I typically used Valvoline synthetic 75w-90.

i want to keep using conventional engine oil, but maybe synthetic is better for the "final gear". thoughts and reasoning? 13k miles on the engine.

'Conventional' engine oil, you need an oil suitable for wet clutches, do not use the current high-mileage oils for modern cars. By high mileage, I don't mean the oils for cars with 100K miles on them. The Shell Rotella oil is what many people use, so-called diesel oil. I use Motul motorcycle oil.

thanks guys! for the engine oil i'll use the

Shell Rotella T4 Triple Protection 15W-40 Diesel Motor Oil​

For the final drive i'm thinking

Lucas Oil LUC10043 Oil SAE 80W-90 Heavy Duty Gear Oil​

both are "conventional", not synthetic, i believe.

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR FORK OIL?

I use Bel Ray for fork oil 10 wt.

Look into RICOR or Race Tech front fork cartridge emulators. Once dialed in properly, there is a big difference between the OEM fork operation and the replacements. '85-'92 are 40 mm while '93-'07 are 43 mm.

I have always used Bel-Ray in the final drive, except last change I wasnt near a bike shop so I opted on the Lucas.

i want to keep using conventional engine oil, but maybe synthetic is better for the "final gear". thoughts and reasoning? 13k miles on the engine.
Royal Purple out back, I stick with bike formulated motor oils.
I am afraid a full synthetic would allow a clutch slip.

Latest posts

Back