Newbie to VMAX, Help please

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morty76

Reaction score
I recently got a 2005 VMAX from my brother. He is currently deployed and is unable to answer questions. Not sure how long the bike was in his garage, but the rear cylinder on the left side (While mounted) is misfiring at lower RPMs. When I get now the throttle pretty good I don't notice any loss of power or performance. I checked and replaced all plugs with no change. Old plugs looked ok. I little corrosion on the socket area, but nothing real bad. After the new plugs, same problem. I am thinking fuel(Carb) partially clogged or plug wires? Am I way off here? Not a great mechanic, but I know enough to get into trouble. This is my first motorcycle in 20 years, so many things have changed. I am currently running B-12 fuel system cleaner to see if that will jar loose the carb. Any other help would be great. I don't like the way it sounds, kind of embarrassing. Bike has 20400 miles and is still very strong.

I am far from an expert on the VMax, but if you search the forum for "Peashooter" and "Shotgun" you will find details for cleaning the carbs. in two different ways. That might be a good place to start. I'll try to find my bookmarks for the same for you.

ok. looked at the video. I think that will be something that I can handle. What is "SHOT GUNNING"?

Run Non Ethanol Fuel after cleaning, if you have it available in your area.

What about plug gap? Using NGK DPR8EA 9. They came pregapped at .35 but airbox cover says .8 to .9. Do I need to regap?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

What about plug gap? Using NGK DPR8EA 9. They came pregapped at .35 but airbox cover says .8 to .9. Do I need to regap?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Thats .8 to .9 mm....which works out to be .032 to .035. Gap to .035 for the best hp.

Back