Newbie with a 2000 VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erock61

Reaction score
Hello all,

After years of searching I finally found a really nice 2000 VMax.
It has a few issues I can deal with except one realted to the carbs...
The bike will only run with the choke on....even after warm up if I take off the choke it wants to die.....Jetting issues...?...Need help please!

Thanks

If you can't deal with carb issues you bought the wrong bike. Just kidding. Drain the carbs and check if the fuel is clean. I'd change the fuel filter also.

If possible find out if the jets are stock or not. Makes the adjusting easier. Here's my remedy when unusual carb issues appear. Take two rags, the thicker the better. Warm the bike. Take off the faux tank cover. Stuck one rag to left air intake. Start the bike. Let it run at 6000 rpm. Stuck the other rag to right intake and let the bike stumble. Repeat a couple of times and see if there's any improvement.

Plugged pilot fuel jets. If you don't want to clean them yourself we do offer carb cleaning services even on an exchange basis.

Sean

:punk: Erock61, After you get the carbs clean buy yourself some racing fuel. It can sit in the carbs/tank for up to almost a year and not clog your pilot jets. The new Ethanol blends can clog them in less than 3 weeks. You should be able to get racing fuel for $10 a gallon or less. Just drain the tank and put some of this in and start the bike for a few minutes when storing for more than 3 weeks. Have a Happy New Year! Spurs

Plugged pilot fuel jets. If you don't want to clean them yourself we do offer carb cleaning services even on an exchange basis.

Sean

Plus 1 - Pretty much guarantee this is the problem. There are 6 Maxes in my riding group and I have cleaned carbs many times with this problem. Any time setting with ethanol will clog up the low speed/small jets. Bike only runs with choke and/or over 3000 rpm.

I have found that using fuel additives that help treat ethanol, sure does help! 2 strokes suffer from the same thing.... I havent had any issue with doing so. Something to think about. JMHO

Plus 1 - Pretty much guarantee this is the problem. There are 6 Maxes in my riding group and I have cleaned carbs many times with this problem. Any time setting with ethanol will clog up the low speed/small jets. Bike only runs with choke and/or over 3000 rpm.

plus 2, been there before. cleaning the carbs.

Back