Nitrogen filled tires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbrown

Reaction score
Some people think its a gimmick but its used a lot. A couple of weeks ago the local H-D dealer offered free nitrogen for your tires. I asked and he said he would do my 09 as long as I told my buddies after the free deal was over, it was supposed to be a Harley only deal. Your supposed to get better mpg, tread life, no moisture or corrosion inside the tire, and less fluctuation in psi due to temperature change. Right away I noticed that I couldn't feel all the little seams in the roads. I run a metz 880 on the rear. Seems to be a smoother ride but it could be in my head. It was free so I lost nothing for trying. Anyone else running nitrogen?

Here is an interesting tidbit of an article. The forum makes for an interesting read as well.

Nitrogen's tire benefits seem overblown

Proponents say you'll get better gas mileage if you fill your tires with nitrogen. But when you factor in the cost, the advantages start to go flat.

As if the tangled task of maintaining your vehicle without draining your bank account isn't tough enough, some of the folks who sell and service the tires on your car have come up with another item for your consideration:
Would you like regular air or nitrogen with your tires?

OK, expect to be charged as much as $10 per tire for that choice.
Is it worth it? Let's check the basics.

What's at issue with nitrogen versus plain old air, which comes from the pump at the gas station, is that nitrogen is a drier, more stable gas that's less prone to changes in pressure due to heat or cold.
Nitrogen has long been used in aircraft tires and in the tires of race cars. Its use in average road cars is new and controversial.

What supporters say

Proponents of nitrogen argue that because studies show that many drivers rarely if ever check the inflation of their tires, anything that will slow the normal leakage -- estimated by some at 1 to 2 pounds per square inch a month -- is a good safety measure.

One Web site that lays out the claims for using nitrogen is that of the Get Nitrogen Institute

It says, essentially, that putting nitrogen in your tires will increase your fuel efficiency because properly inflated tires will reduce rolling resistance, which can mean as much as 3% better mileage than a car with under inflated tires.
It also claims that nitrogen will not degrade the interior rubber of the tire or corrode the wheels, since it contains no oxygen or water vapor -- both present in the atmosphere we breathe and pump into our tires.
But a closer examination of the facts makes some of the claims for nitrogen seem at best anecdotal or illusory for everyday drivers.

First, the air around us is already 78% nitrogen, with 21% oxygen and 1% other gases. So going to pure nitrogen squeezes out only a small amount of the oxygen molecules that nitrogen proponents argue are so detrimental.
Also, the advantage of nitrogen being more stable and less prone to changes in pressure due to heat in the tires seems of little benefit to average drivers. Race teams use it because they can change the handling of the car by adjusting individual tire pressure by as little as a quarter pound.

So having a gas that's ultra stable has real benefits when dealing with such small degrees.

Nitrogen proponents say that the nature of the gas means it's less prone to leaking out over time through the pores present in rubber tires. But most air leakage in tires can be traced to poor fit around the rim of the wheel or the valve stem, rather than gas permeating the rubber.

Claims of nitrogen being more friendly to the rubber and wheels is also questionable, since most tires wear out the tread on the outside long before the inner rubber would go bad from exposure to oxygen. The same factors hold true for wheels, many of which are made from alloys, not straight steel. You're far more likely to damage a wheel from hitting a curb than see a wheel go bad from oxidation.

A good site that takes a contrarian point of view on nitrogen in passenger car tires is Eng-Tips forums , which is run by engineers.

When it comes down to a dollar decision, it's hard to argue that spending as much as $40 to put nitrogen in a set of tires is a good fiscal move.

Even if you accept the arguments of proponents, at some point you are going to have to add air to your tires -- not even the most ardent nitrogen pushers will say that your tires will never lose pressure. When that happens, you're most likely to go to the corner gas station, put in a couple of quarters and pump your tire up with regular old air, which will mix with the nitrogen and degrade any benefits.
Save your money. Just keep an eye on your tire pressures.
This article was reported and written by Terry Jackson for Bankrate.com.

I use nitrogen in my tires but that's because I have a cylinder of it in my garage. I use it in all my tires. My family owns a Welding, Safety and Industrial house so it's free. I just take one home and use it... lol

Way better than firing up a compressor.

I always use about 78% nitrogen in all my tires.

LOL funny guy...:biglaugh:

The key to Nitrogen is that it's damn near void of water. Industrial nitrogen like used in tire shops still has moisture but VERY little. We produce a very dry nitrogen as well but it's more expensive and not worth the money.

I read that the molecules of nitrogen are larger thus less apt to escape and lead to pressure loss. I am sure you are running the obligatory "green" nitrogen valve caps now too are you? Lankeee is running "Sniferous" not kniferous. (from the burritos don't you know). The secret is running helium. The advantages are obvious arent they?:confused2:

Here is an interesting tidbit of an article. The forum makes for an interesting read as well.

Nitrogen's tire benefits seem overblown

Proponents say you'll get better gas mileage if you fill your tires with nitrogen. But when you factor in the cost, the advantages start to go flat.

As if the tangled task of maintaining your vehicle without draining your bank account isn't tough enough, some of the folks who sell and service the tires on your car have come up with another item for your consideration:
Would you like regular air or nitrogen with your tires?

OK, expect to be charged as much as $10 per tire for that choice.
Is it worth it? Let's check the basics.

What's at issue with nitrogen versus plain old air, which comes from the pump at the gas station, is that nitrogen is a drier, more stable gas that's less prone to changes in pressure due to heat or cold.
Nitrogen has long been used in aircraft tires and in the tires of race cars. Its use in average road cars is new and controversial.

What supporters say

Proponents of nitrogen argue that because studies show that many drivers rarely if ever check the inflation of their tires, anything that will slow the normal leakage -- estimated by some at 1 to 2 pounds per square inch a month -- is a good safety measure.

One Web site that lays out the claims for using nitrogen is that of the Get Nitrogen Institute

It says, essentially, that putting nitrogen in your tires will increase your fuel efficiency because properly inflated tires will reduce rolling resistance, which can mean as much as 3% better mileage than a car with under inflated tires.
It also claims that nitrogen will not degrade the interior rubber of the tire or corrode the wheels, since it contains no oxygen or water vapor -- both present in the atmosphere we breathe and pump into our tires.
But a closer examination of the facts makes some of the claims for nitrogen seem at best anecdotal or illusory for everyday drivers.

First, the air around us is already 78% nitrogen, with 21% oxygen and 1% other gases. So going to pure nitrogen squeezes out only a small amount of the oxygen molecules that nitrogen proponents argue are so detrimental.
Also, the advantage of nitrogen being more stable and less prone to changes in pressure due to heat in the tires seems of little benefit to average drivers. Race teams use it because they can change the handling of the car by adjusting individual tire pressure by as little as a quarter pound.

So having a gas that's ultra stable has real benefits when dealing with such small degrees.

Nitrogen proponents say that the nature of the gas means it's less prone to leaking out over time through the pores present in rubber tires. But most air leakage in tires can be traced to poor fit around the rim of the wheel or the valve stem, rather than gas permeating the rubber.

Claims of nitrogen being more friendly to the rubber and wheels is also questionable, since most tires wear out the tread on the outside long before the inner rubber would go bad from exposure to oxygen. The same factors hold true for wheels, many of which are made from alloys, not straight steel. You're far more likely to damage a wheel from hitting a curb than see a wheel go bad from oxidation.

A good site that takes a contrarian point of view on nitrogen in passenger car tires is Eng-Tips forums , which is run by engineers.

When it comes down to a dollar decision, it's hard to argue that spending as much as $40 to put nitrogen in a set of tires is a good fiscal move.

Even if you accept the arguments of proponents, at some point you are going to have to add air to your tires -- not even the most ardent nitrogen pushers will say that your tires will never lose pressure. When that happens, you're most likely to go to the corner gas station, put in a couple of quarters and pump your tire up with regular old air, which will mix with the nitrogen and degrade any benefits.
Save your money. Just keep an eye on your tire pressures.
This article was reported and written by Terry Jackson for Bankrate.com.

Thanks for the article. Since it was free the first time it was a good deal but I continues using it. The rear tire gets replace once or twice a year anyway depending on whether or not I hit the burnout pits in STURGIS. I don't think its worth the extra jibs.

I use a commercially available filter to remove the moisture from air on my pump, yet based on temperature changes well over 100+ degrees from riding hard and the sudden drop in ambient temps can cause condensation in the wheel and tire assembly. Anyone ever find moisture in their tires during a rubber change? Probably not, it either evaporates from the heat or is in a state of humidity.

Who cares just ride

agreed... theres better things to worry about. goodyear puts it in my trucks for free everytime i get a tire change, but if i get a nail you can bet im not gonna go out of my way to get nitrogen. the first gas station is just fine.

peace,
evan...

Putting a little air in, or just checking the pressure, once in a while gives me a chance to look my rubber over, which is a good thing. Even when I had access to free Nitrogen I never used it. I see no problem with it, but will never pay anyone to fill my tires with it. That $40 would take me to Danno's and back, just about.
Steve

"This way to the egress!" said P.T. Barnum, after filling the gullibles' tires with nitrogen.

"I read that the molecules of nitrogen are larger thus less apt to escape and lead to pressure loss."

Nitrogen is #7 and Oxygen is #8, on the Periodic Table. Assuming that both are two-atoms each molecule in the form as a gaseous state of matter, (N2 and O2) when they are used for filling tires, I do not think this claim is accurate.

Last edited:
Even a flat tire has air in it. So with 78% nitrogen in the air and air left in the tire when all the pressure is off you might get 90% nitrogen in a totally flat tire. Only way to get pure nitrogen would be to put the tire in a chamber of nitrogen before filling and evacuate all the air. It's really a scam.

Latest posts

Back