Nitrous injection port in head question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingy

Reaction score
The 1983 -1985 Venture 1200 motors had a setup called the YICS system. This entailed a port into the intake chamber near the intake boss. It was attached to a plastic manifold. The intent seemed to be to help improve air fuel mixture.

This system was abandoned in 1986 when the Ventures went to the 1300 motor.

But as a carry over, the boss was always on the head at the point where the YICS port was, this is on the Ventures and the VMax heads I have.

This port goes into the head above the intake valves.

Would this boss be a good point for the N02 injector?

Pictures attached show some views of a stock 1200 Venture with YCIS & port visible. A cut from Service manual describing the YCIS system, and a couple of pictures of VMax heads showing the outboard boss.

Gary

Attachments

• YICS cut.jpg
    YICS cut.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 38
  • YICS chamber.JPG
    YICS chamber.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 32
  • port 4.jpg
    port 4.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 41
  • port 3.jpg
    port 3.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 36
  • front head outboard port.JPG
    front head outboard port.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 41
  • rear head outboard port.JPG
    rear head outboard port.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 35
You can, but I'm pretty sure the efficiency wouldn't exactly be there.
There would be a loss of atomization and the possible flooding of the cyl with a poorly atomized fuel mixture, reducing the performance. As with any fuel system, the better the atomization, the better the burn and the performance will fall in line.

This is the reason you don't really see "head injected" nitrous systems, but more manifold and post/pre-carb set-ups.

Last edited:
I looked at my heads sitting on the shelf out int he garage, and the bosses that are "inboard" of the carbs would be about impossible to fit injectors in I think, clearances are pretty tight to the cam chain tunnel and the carb manifold.

In addition if you feel down inside the intake port, you can feel that squirting N20 in this spot would pretty much only hit ONE of the intake valves....

I don 't think it would be a worthwhile pursuit.

My good friend Gary take a look here... Good place to put them...

09042011384.jpg

09042011381.jpg

1000576g.jpg

Gary, why not spray into the intake runners? There are collars available that work well for that.

By the intake runners, do you mean what wildweasel posted above?

My good friend Gary take a look here... Good place to put them...

Can you send me info on this system, I know next to nothing about nitrous.

I'm looking for a low to moderate system, not some 200 HP ass kicking thing.

Gary

By the intake runners, do you mean what wildweasel posted above?

Very similar....wildweasel used the sync ports for his nozzles, I drilled seperate holes and left the sync ports functional.

You can determine the size of the shot you want from nozzle selection....the smaller the nozzle, the lower hp the shot will be. It's rated by each carb so a 9hp/carb shot is a 36hp shot effectively.

I got a kit from these guys, they have the base kit and you will want to add a few things like fuel pressure regulator and/or gauge, braided lines, etc.

http://www.schnitzracingstore.com/catalogs/index.asp?category=19088&count=1

Attachments

• 100_2075.jpg
    100_2075.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 16
Hey Gary

My system is pretty simple with no gauges actually. I have a secondary fuel pump for the NOS, the two solenoid valves and nozzles with a master switch and a switch on the throttle rocker that allows for NOS to enable only with full throttle. If you don't want to use the sync ports just weld a tab against the manifold so you have enough thickness to open a threaded hole for the nozzles...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back