nitrous ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIM93MAX

Reaction score
i have searched on here about nitrous and have learned alot but my question is how big of a shot can you put on a stock vmax motor and say one with forged pistons to keep it safe ? and also i know every one said thats its very fun and addictive but is it really worth the 1000 ish bucks im going to spend ? just want to get the 411 from people that have used it on the vmax and have spent the money on it.

Rule of thumb is 20hp per cyl max for a stocker in good shape. If you have built internals you could increase the shot depending on what you have done. Notably forged pistions, conecting rods, and some crank work. You could easliy go to over 35 per cyl but your trans will be the downfall.

ok cool thanks. i was planning on running an 80 shot any way. do u think its worth it or is it one of thoes things thats really cool but not really worth the money. i have never been in a nitrous car or road a nitrous bike. i know a bit about it but just never experienced it before.

Set some money aside and get ready to buy an engine from me with 80 shot. It will live for some time but that much is hard on it. We've run 100 shot before but trans went out within a few bottles. 60 shot is more a safe range and in fact the 40 shot will make a huge difference and still allow longevity (and more hits on a bottle).

Sean

Not sure about bikes but an engine is an engine. I recommend building a motor for nitrous simply put stock was not made for it. I have built car engines for nitrous and I will tell you you would be farther a head by doing it. Think about what nitrous does in an engine and what happens at the point of fire simply put stock engines will get blown sooner than latter.
just my two cents

Think about what nitrous does in an engine and what happens at the point of fire .....

What, exactly does nitrous do in an engine, woodsman?? :ummm:

I thought it didn't burn. :confused2:

It does not burn, but it's a great carrying agent so it can bring a lot more air in so add more fuel with the air and you've got a recipe for more power. It is very limited in duration though since it only lasts while there is fluid in the bottle.

I believe it was first used in war planes for a little extra burst of speed for maneuvers (evasion and or attack). Of course superchargers and turbochargers were used in planes too before any land based vehicle tried them.

Sean

Nitrous is an oxidizer. It allows for the introduction of more fuel. the more fuel you can burn per piston pop, the more hp you can gain.

It was used in high altitude aircraft due to the lack of oxygen way up there. It was also used in some fighter/bomber applications.

The first part of the articles I wrote deal with the history of the stuff.

What, exactly does nitrous do in an engine, woodsman?? :ummm:

I thought it didn't burn. :confused2:

Well as Sean and KJShover stated it does not burn but allows more fuel to be burned and also allows for more of a complete burn of fuel quicker. This also creates more heat this is why you need different pistons. Stock pistons were not made for this type of burn the bigger the "shot" of nitrous the hotter "bigger explosion of fuel will occur" as stated more Horsepower . Heads should also be built for this type of application. Just remember heat is not a good thing in a engine so cooling should be thought of as well. For the money it would cost to build an engine for nitrous I think money would be better spent on a turbo or there is a vgas system out "from UFO"this is constant horsepower gains. I dont know much about UFOCYCLES but the concept is there more fuel "bigger carbs" and more air flow = horsepower. I don't want to bore anyone with this stuff this is getting a little long winded for a reply but hope this help.

You obviously have not seen our jet kit compared to the UFO flatslides. An independent shop (PCW) built two identical engines and our kit out powered the flatslides (even their setup). Plus, you don't end up smelling like fuel, can go more then 130mph (at that point on the UFO the fuel is sucked out of the carbs by the air flowing over them), and get close to double the fuel mileage. About the only thing that the UFO carbs is good for is looks (but they kill your knees too).

I do believe you are also incorrect on the combustion temperature. The nitrous gives a cooling effect and the additional combustion pressure is what can cause issues with the pistons (too much pressure can cave in the piston or even cause the ring lands to break off).

Heads and cams don't have to be done. BUT, just like it would work on a N/A engine (naturally aspirated) you can get more power if they are done well and cam'd for it (for maximum gains). It's more of a percentage of power gained. On a turbo/supercharged engine 14.7psi would theoretically be doubling the HP by doubling the amount or air/fuel introduced into the engine. This is reduced by the engines efficiency at converting the potential HP into real HP.

Sean

You obviously have not seen our jet kit compared to the UFO flatslides. An independent shop (PCW) built two identical engines and our kit out powered the flatslides (even their setup). Plus, you don't end up smelling like fuel, can go more then 130mph (at that point on the UFO the fuel is sucked out of the carbs by the air flowing over them), and get close to double the fuel mileage. About the only thing that the UFO carbs is good for is looks (but they kill your knees too).

I do believe you are also incorrect on the combustion temperature. The nitrous gives a cooling effect and the additional combustion pressure is what can cause issues with the pistons (too much pressure can cave in the piston or even cause the ring lands to break off).

Heads and cams don't have to be done. BUT, just like it would work on a N/A engine (naturally aspirated) you can get more power if they are done well and cam'd for it (for maximum gains). It's more of a percentage of power gained. On a turbo/supercharged engine 14.7psi would theoretically be doubling the HP by doubling the amount or air/fuel introduced into the engine. This is reduced by the engines efficiency at converting the potential HP into real HP.

Sean

Like I stated I know there a better options for adding HP without nitrous. We will talk more about your jet kits on my winters overhaul"may have to talk by phone as questions about different set ups". As stated I talk of car engines not sure about Cycles I just believe an engine is and engine all work on the same basic principles. The heat talked about is from the spark " recommend cooler plugs" complete burn of fuel hence better heads allow better exhaust flow and intake flow. Real horse power is always the quest "REAR WHEEL HORSE POWER' is all that counts for me every other number is just smoke and mirrors:biglaugh:

Last edited:
Hi there,

NOS is also something I want to add to my bike when I finished deciding on flatslides/EFI or bigbore options. Thing is: there is said a healthy engine (mine is with 12K easy-use kilometers) can handle about 80 RWHP without additional reinforcements like for example Carillo pistons and rods.

However, I guess I should first subtract power-gains made through flatslides ? So when I add about 20 RWHP by flatslides and good tuning, there will be about 60RWHP 'left' to upgrade the power without modifying the rest of the engine ?

Sounds logical, but like to get it confirmed so I can make myself somekind of a planning what and how to do.

GreetZ!

arjan

Keep in mind, when you start spraying over 50-60hp shots your going to want to retard your timing 3-5deg and put some cooler plugs in.

Latest posts

Back