No power. Period

Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

Steven May

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2019
Messages
79
Reaction score
15
Location
Val Verde, Texas
Rode into town to put gas in, and when leaving spun the motor one round and then all the power left. No lights, nothing. pulled the seat off and checked a fuse, still good. Trailered it home, where I found the 75a fuse...looked bad, so I tossed it. Put in a 30 a fuse just to see if the lights would come on, Nope. OK so I check the battery, No voltage. Pulled it to find that all the water had left the building, Filled it to the lines and charged it. Put it back in. Still I have no power when I turn on the key....Just a post to see if anybody has had this happen and what they did. Otherwise its to the shop with it. Thanks.
 

MaxMidnight

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,473
Reaction score
530
Location
Cumbria, England.
You should also check why the electrolyte evaporated; was it lack of maintenance or over charging?

You can't rely just on the battery voltage to confirm it is OK. Whilst the voltage reading may be OK the ability to deliver the high current needed to start may be compromised.
A battery discharge test would confirm this.
 

dannymax

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2008
Messages
13,337
Reaction score
225
Location
columbia county new york
The main, I believe, is a 30a, if it blew a 75a and drained the electrolyte there are some problems that need to be researched. I believe there is an electric system flow chart check list here on the forum that might help you. Not sure where it is.
 
Last edited:

DreamV4

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2021
Messages
762
Reaction score
205
Multi-tester, electrical diagram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you cannot read diagram, just keep staring at it until you do. It explains everything. Open diagram in Paint and draw current flow. Pretty often I start chopping pieces of diagram, which I don't need.
Voltage goes:
Battery, fuse, ignition switch, fuse panel, components.
If you don't have $5 for multitester from HarborFreight, start saving... ;)
 

Steven May

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2019
Messages
79
Reaction score
15
Location
Val Verde, Texas
The main, I believe, is a 30a, if it blew a 75a and drained the electrolyte there are some problems that need to be researched. I believe there is an electric system flow chart check list here on the forum that might help you. Not sure where it is.
my bad it was a 7.5 on the trickle charge leads...Im an idiot
 

Steven May

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2019
Messages
79
Reaction score
15
Location
Val Verde, Texas
You should also check why the electrolyte evaporated; was it lack of maintenance or over charging?

You can't rely just on the battery voltage to confirm it is OK. Whilst the voltage reading may be OK the ability to deliver the high current needed to start may be compromised.
A battery discharge test would confirm this.
thanks for the replies Max, I bought a new battery, and checked all the fuses...all good. When I press the start button the light dims like it's going somewhere, but nothing happens...starter?
 

norcalAF

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2020
Messages
168
Reaction score
101
Location
East SF Bay
Did you charge the new battery completely? I swapped to a shorai lithium when the battery went out on mine. I've been happy with it so far after about 5k miles.
 

Steven May

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2019
Messages
79
Reaction score
15
Location
Val Verde, Texas
thanks for the replies Max, I bought a new battery, and checked all the fuses...all good. When I press the start button the light dims like it's going somewhere, but nothing happens...starter?
could it be the relay ?
Did you charge the new battery completely? I swapped to a shorai lithium when the battery went out on mine. I've been happy with it so far after about 5k miles.
bought a Caltric AGM 16AH off of amazon
 

norcalAF

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2020
Messages
168
Reaction score
101
Location
East SF Bay
Are you sure everything was hooked up correctly during install? Beyond that I'm not sure what it could be. Hopefully some wiser max heads will chime in
 

MaxMidnight

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
2,473
Reaction score
530
Location
Cumbria, England.
Did you charge the new battery completely?
That's what I would do first.
Note that your charger must have a charging regime specifically for the AGM type of battery.

A few other points:
Read the instructions about installation and commissioning of the battery.
Unless you have already done so you will need to check the charging rate to ensure your new battery isn't fried.
Check that all of the earths are clean and tight.
 

putin

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2013
Messages
146
Reaction score
18
Location
los angeles
Rode into town to put gas in, and when leaving spun the motor one round and then all the power left. No lights, nothing. pulled the seat off and checked a fuse, still good. Trailered it home, where I found the 75a fuse...looked bad, so I tossed it. Put in a 30 a fuse just to see if the lights would come on, Nope. OK so I check the battery, No voltage. Pulled it to find that all the water had left the building, Filled it to the lines and charged it. Put it back in. Still I have no power when I turn on the key....Just a post to see if anybody has had this happen and what they did. Otherwise its to the shop with it. Thanks.
Battery is too close to engine, and electrolite evaporates. Same happened to me. I just bought Odissey AGM battery. No issues yet.
 

02GF74

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2020
Messages
1,233
Reaction score
578
Location
UK
Battery is too close to engine, and electrolite evaporates. Same happened to me. I just bought Odissey AGM battery. No issues yet.
I don't buy that else every owner, which most are on this forum, would be making the same complaint.

Electrolite evaporates if the battery is being overcharged, accompanied with a smell of rotten eggs (sulphur dioxide).

I recommend you measure the charge voltage, if it exceeds 14 v, then the regulator is suspect.
 

putin

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2013
Messages
146
Reaction score
18
Location
los angeles
I don't buy that else every owner, which most are on this forum, would be making the same complaint.

Electrolite evaporates if the battery is being overcharged, accompanied with a smell of rotten eggs (sulphur dioxide).

I recommend you measure the charge voltage, if it exceeds 14 v, then the regulator is suspect.
Charging voltage around 13, but the fact is that one cell was almost empty.
 

sdt354

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2008
Messages
6,043
Reaction score
310
Location
Bristol County, Massachusetts
Charging voltage around 13, but the fact is that one cell was almost empty.
Better off with a sealed AGM OR lithium ion battery. Charging voltage , +13.5 volts minimum. I like 14 volts at idle. Venture stator, late model regulator. No high resistance grounds.
 

Latest posts

Top