VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaztheClash

Reaction score
Hello all. First time posting on Vmaxforum. I recently removed the stock handlebars and installed a set of drag bars on my 2000 VMax. I fired it up with no trouble moments before slapping the new bars on, but after they were installed I had no power at all. I thought maybe I left the ignition in the "on" position and the battery died, but that's not the case. I then figured I pulled something loose while putting the controls on the new bars and I have a continuity issue, but for the life of me I cannot find it. I've followed the ignition wires from the bars to the ignition (even disassembling it just to make sure) and then to the battery and I can't find anything loose or frayed or anything and I've checked that all the fuses are good. Any thoughts?

There are two fuse box locations. One with (4) gang under the faux tank cover *2 reserve locations. And the other (1) MAIN fuse just over the positive connection on the left side of the battery. That is likely blown. There are two fuse positions in that connection. One is a spare.

Sean

Provided your battery didn't decide to take that precise opportunity to chit the bed, I'd say you gotta be missing something somewhere.

Do you have a headlight on? Turn signals work? Brake light work? etc...

Did you check the MAIN fuse near the battery? It's connector has been known to chit the bed too.

You could start by checking voltage between the battery terminals. Then check voltage from there towards the key switch. There's a wiring chart located somewhere here on the forum for you to use.

BUT, considering you have had the bars off, my GUESS lies with your kill switch area and/or the connectors associated with handlebar removal.

Sounds crazy but check the position of the on/ off switch maybe it was bumped off during the swap?

Got it sorted. I removed the ground wires from the battery and cleaned everything up. Put them back on and LET THERE BE LIGHT. Thanks for all the input, errbody.

Latest posts

Back