No spark at an idle on # 1 cylinder till 3000 rpms...why..where to look..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EFENAE

Reaction score
hello..new to the forum..i recently bought a 89 max with 30.000 miles..not really well kept mechanically...i had it running really well..i redid carbs haven't sinc yet but had valves adjusted and went through as much as i could.. i left it out in the rain a couple days:bang head:...Im sure you know what that gets you..i go to get on it and notice a loss in power and it immediately dies after starting..so im looking around and notice that at an idle number 1 cylinder is not firing till around 3000 rpms..i stuck another plug on the wire to confirm this..so then i swap coils..check wiring under the seat and near frame..problem still there!!....hope im not the only one who got his max wet and had this happen.....:confused2:any info would help..thanks

Not sure on the wet part but was having the same exact problem you describe with a buddies bike and found out it was the cdi box causing it. It ran amazing past 3K but it sputtered and missed on the 1 cylinder below that.

dodgediesel59 is probably right, but make sure your plug wires are corrosion free on each end. Stock Vmax wires are made of copper and can corrode, also the wire actually screws into the coil and plug cap.

Swaped the coil and wire and the same cylinder misfires? sounds like the TCI unit to me. Clean, dry and spray your coil and TCI connetions first wi wd-40 or similiar. If no change, then talk to Sean Morle about a loan/purchathse for the TCI, if he has one. You can't beat that for service. Let us know what the problem was when you find it too.
Steve-o

Sounds simple but I would throw all new plugs and wires in it before I spent the money on a TCI box $$$$$$$$$$$

I real TCI failure on these bikes is actually pretty rare.......

Plus without synching it it's possible for one carb to be closed so far at will not fire at idle, but you said you pulled the wire and checked that so :ummm:

Back