No spark, fuel pump never stopped....etc

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris C

Reaction score
I drove my 2016 vmax to my German club for a bier. No issues. It rocked. Went to get on it to go home. It took a lot of cranking and a lot of throttle to get it to stay lit. After revving for 5 minutes, it finally idled. It smoked while it warmed up smoke poured out. You could smell the unburnt fuel. I loaded up and went home. After I got home the VMAX never ran again. That was 2 weeks ago.

I replaced the battery (needed) and the plugs (overdue). No love. And then I sat down and read the 09 maintenance manual we all use. I ran the diag codes. Nothing of importance, just a tilt issue (my bad) and a kickstand issue. I cleared those. Still no spark. I tested all the sensors and fuel pump. All clean. Pumped fuel through a tube into a gas can. No wonder it only gets 30 mpg. It worked. After I hooked it back up it stopped running constantly.

Long story short, I went to the relay (diode) testing section of the manual. I pulled the relay. I performed the tests of connectivity and non-connectivity (uni-directional flow). Nothing works. Nothing. So, I am guessing that diode/relay is done. I am going to order another one and see.

At least it forced me to change the plugs, the battery, and the coolant. I also got a lot of quality reading in.

If it works, I will report bad. If it doesn't, I will probably swear alot.

cart

still dead after relay replacement. It turns over. I can smell gas, but no spark. At a loss. Time to start over I guess. The manual has a check list. Maybe I missed something. I will have to check the sensors that the ecu doesn't let me check.... If anyone has seen a gen 2 stop starting... all 4 cylinders....and has a suggestion, I would appreciate it. After 2 weeks of trying....I am close to giving up.

cart

Might have killed the CDI box. It's not common but can happen. I am not sure how to get a good test on it? I had one here (got screwed on an exchange with someone when doing our reflash and didn't notate who it came from).

First, thank you for the suggestion. I know that when I find it, it will be an aha moment....just hoping that moment doesn't include an new ECU.

Is there a CDI box on the Gen 2? I don't see it on the wiring diagram for the Ignition system... page 8-1 .... plus I have coil packs which I thought replaced CDI?Also, I can't find the Crankshaft position sensor on any of the parts place's electrical diagrams. Do you know the part number for that? These are the components of the ignition system according to the 2009 manual...
6. Main fuse
7. Main switch
8. Battery
9. Frame ground
14.Relay unit
19.Sidestand switch
20.Crankshaft position sensor
24.Lean angle sensor
30.ECU (engine control unit)
32.Cylinder-#1 ignition coil
33.Cylinder-#2 ignition coil
34.Cylinder-#3 ignition coil
35.Cylinder-#4 ignition coil
36.Spark plug
63.Gear position switch
83.Engine stop switch
89.Ignition fuse

One of these is screwing me. I am going to cross each one off until I find it.

cart

None of those....... fuel system. No gas, just the smell of gas. On to the wonders of fuel injection and fuel flow.

Latest posts

Back