No spark on 94 Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryFor88

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the world of the Vmax. I got mine in April of this year. My problem is that I have lost spark on my 94 Max. About a week ago, I went to take it out to go to work and it wouldn't start. I pulled a few of the plugs and checked to find out that there wasn't any spark on any cylinders.

It cranked over fine, but she just wouldn't start. I didn't have much time to mess with it, so I went to work and when I came home, she fired up right away.

I rode it to work for the next few days without any incident. Well yesterday, I went to ride it home from work and she wouldn't start again.

Again no spark. I am a former auto mechanic, so I have some understanding of how things work. I'm guessing it may be the CDI module, but was gonna ask around before throwing parts at it. I'm assuming I should get the Dynatek aftermarket module because the dealer wanted over $600 for a factory one.

I laughed at the guy at the dealership when he said how much. That seems a bit much, so I figured if there had been any members with a similar issue, it might save me some time and money.

My other question was where is the CDI module located?? Under the fake "fuel tank cover" and under the air box?? I looked up the parts diagram at Yamaha's web site and it appears that it is located in that area of the bike. The diagram wasn't exactly specific to its location.

Thanks for any input guys, Gary

i'd ask Sean if he had a spare you could put a deposit down or whatever for to see if you could try it out. its infront of the airbox in the 'electrical' section.... looks like a hard drive. (99% sure)

NEVER buy from the dealer... Mondak Motorsports (Gary McCoy) will hook you up for MUCH less.

Check out the VMF links for uhm... links... lol

Good luck,
Chris

i have the same problem only if bike gets wet. did you wash bike before it started happening? or did it rain and get wet when you were at work? on mine if the cdi gets wet i wont have spark for about a week. i tested everything else and i know it is the cdi and it only happens if it gets wet.

i have the same problem only if bike gets wet. did you wash bike before it started happening? or did it rain and get wet when you were at work? on mine if the cdi gets wet i wont have spark for about a week. i tested everything else and i know it is the cdi and it only happens if it gets wet.

how do you stop it from getting wet in the rain?

My 85 was doing the same thing and I pulled the cdi box and sprayed silicone lubricant into the holes on the bottom of the box ( I tried to drown it ). Then i checked all of the connectors ( cleaned ) and filled the connectors with dialetric grease, replaced the plug wires with 7 mm silicone wires from the auto parts house. Now I can spray the bike with a fire hose and ride it away.

Rhoy

how do you stop it from getting wet in the rain?

well i have not got stuck in the rain yet.but i did pull box and sealed the lip all the way around and the two bottom holes with a rubber sealant. i just have not tried to wash bike yet to see if it worked.

My 85 was doing the same thing and I pulled the cdi box and sprayed silicone lubricant into the holes on the bottom of the box ( I tried to drown it ). Then i checked all of the connectors ( cleaned ) and filled the connectors with dialetric grease, replaced the plug wires with 7 mm silicone wires from the auto parts house. Now I can spray the bike with a fire hose and ride it away.

Rhoy

i also filled connectors with dialectic grease i will have to wash it and find out if it did the trick.

Back