No spark when i try to start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

int3nzz33

Reaction score
Last year i bought a 1985 vmx 1200. When i started the bike in january i saw smoke coming from an coupling and traced it to the voltage recitifier regulator. The heat-shrink tubing was melted into the isolation, and some of the isolation was gone so i saw the copper. I changed and started the bike, drove it 2km. The day after i couldnt start the bike. When i checked the sparkplugs there was no spark.

Not sure what your current issue may be? The CDI box or something else? Try unplugging the sidestand relay (black and blue 4 wire relay) under the left scoop/next cover. It's bypassed by simply unplugging it.

Sean

The bad news is that with the number of potential issues that could stop a motor running you will need to do some diagnosis.

First, is it a fuel or electrical issue?
If you have fuel in the float chambers then it is unlikely to be fuel but not impossible
If electrical, you will need to start at the battery and check that you have around 12.6 volts. If OK start working along the system to check you have power at the key points (e.g. ignition switch, fuses coils etc.)

There is no magic wand that can help, sorry.

First, is it a fuel or electrical issue?
OP states "When i checked the sparkplugs there was no spark." so can rule out fuel... but as MM says you need to start tracing power to the ignition circuits.

Have you checked spark on all 4 plugs? If there is one on some of then, then can be coil or leads to and from it.
If all 4 have no spark, then start looking at the ignition module power supply, earth to it and fuses.

Is there power to the coils? Rear ones are easily accessed, I would need to check the manual but usually they are powered and the other side is grounded by a switch (points which are N/A to this model or transistor in ignition module).

Since you had just had problems with the wires from the stater check the battery voltage. Is the bike spinning over normal? Good luck.

Back