No start when wet

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cclxxxz

Reaction score
It’s a 1990 Max with a little over 60k miles, COPs, otherwise stock. I try not to ride in the rain, but am not always successful. If the bike gets wet, by which I mean from a heavy rain, it won’t start for about a week. No spark whatsoever. Something is getting wet but I can’t find what it is. After a week, it fires right up like nothing happened. Anyone else experience this? Any ideas?

I'm willing to bet that whoever put the COPS system on it also never put back any of the protective coverings under the air scoop that keep the electronics dry during wet weather. It all gets soaked and stops working until it dries out.

I'm willing to bet that whoever put the COPS system on it also never put back any of the protective coverings under the air scoop that keep the electronics dry during wet weather. It all gets soaked and stops working until it dries out.
That wouldn’t be a very good bet. I installed the COPs and put back every single part I removed (except the original coils and high-tension leads, of course). Any other ideas?

That wouldn’t be a very good bet. I installed the COPs and put back every single part I removed (except the original coils and high-tension leads, of course). Any other ideas?

You write 'every single part I removed' so is that confirming that that the water shield is in place?
Are you saying (or checked) that none of the plugs fire?

As Mr P is suggesting you need to establish where the moisture is collecting. We can all guess but it would be no more than that.
Some dismantling will be required and connectors associated with the ignition system inspected. Ideally this would be done after you have the symptoms so you would see the water. Alternatively look for signs of verdigris.

I would be checking the connectors into the ignition control unit as a prime candidate.

It worked before you touched it. Now it doesn't work.

So something got missed somewhere. It's probably something simple. Fact is that water is getting to the electronics now and it didn't before. Either you missed putting something back, or maybe didn't tighten it down or put it on incorrectly...

Something got missed. That's the only way that happens.

Back