no starter at the button

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

jeffschnase

Reaction score
Hey everyone. So I finally got the bike done, , (a 95 1st gen)took it out on a test drive, brought it back and accidently left the key on over night. Now when I turn the key on the familiar rattle is no longer there that always happens when i turn the ignition on and there is nothing when I hit the start button. The battery has plenty of power and if i cross the connections on the starter relay the starter works. I tried replacing the relay and still have the same problem. Fire Medic suggested servicing the starter switch which I have not done yet. Im going to try that now just thought maybe one of you might know why that familiar rattle is gone when i turn the key on. Is that the starter relay that makes that noise? Anyone else been thru what I'm going thru?

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
From what you're describing, a 'rattle' upon thumbing the starter button would be the starter clutch engaging. I also mentioned the relay may be stuck with the points closed.

jeffschnase

Reaction score
Crazy ending to the story. Swapped out the main ignition fuse even though I know it was good, reinstalled the old relay, jumped across the relay an everything started working again. Thanks for all your help. Especially you Fire medic. Here’s a look at the finished bike.

Attachments

• D53B1280-E61D-49CC-B516-C07BBCF116C0.jpeg
    D53B1280-E61D-49CC-B516-C07BBCF116C0.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts