No VIN on Vmax 1200

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheryarrr

Reaction score
Hi there ! I imported a Vmax 1200 from Japan. It's in a good condition. The issue is that I can't determine It's model. I tried looking for its VIN number but it was missing. All I could find was a number (Picture attached) on its chassis. Don't know what to do with it. Tried running the number in different VIN websites but no results. Can anyone help me out please ? I have attached picture of it.

Attachments

• 20211205_173503.jpg
    20211205_173503.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Where are you looking for for the VIN?

Unless someone corrects me, it is stamped on the right hand side of the head stock (driver seated and facing forwards).

I don't recognise the area you photographed but I don't recall there being any rivets in the head stock.

Where are you looking for for the VIN?

Unless someone corrects me, it is stamped on the right hand side of the head stock (driver seated and facing forwards).

I don't recognise the area you photographed but I don't recall there being any rivets in the head stock.
Hey there,
It is the right hand side of the head stock. That is the, missing, vin tag rivet.

Seems that is something strange is going on with the imports.
Our vmax is a Japanese one and we can't find nowhere the vin! The headstock as well as the whole frame seems that has never been painted, and there is no indication that someone has sanded the vin off...

something strange is going on with the imports.
Our vmax is a Japanese one and we can't find nowhere the vin
Looks like in 2022, the O.P. may-have removed the pic of his VIN.

I'm no expert on the VMax VIN's, but I've never seen a VMax which didn't have a VIN. Regrettably what that tells me is that probably a felonious criminal removed it. I wouldn't have bought something like that, and to avoid legal issues where you are, you should probably get rid of it. I'm no attorney, I don't know the laws in Greece about altered vehicle numbers, but you can save yourself a world of trouble by getting rid of it.

I never saw a riveted-on VMax VIN. It's possible that in some jurisdiction, a rebuilt title was issued after an inspection by authorities, for a wrecked VMax having been rebuilt. They then issue a new VIN, but I'm not sure about their removing the old one, using whatever method, by the authorities. The State of Florida does it like that, issuing a new VIN after inspection for a vehicle. That number would then be in the state database for vehicle titles under that assigned number, and would have no relation to the manufacturer-issued VIN, for what letters/numbers mean under the original manufacturer's classifications.

Florida has two ways of classifying wrecks: rebuildable, and non-rebuildable. The non-rebuildable assignment of a VIN means that the vehicle by that VIN can never again be used for registration purposes.

In a process called 'washing,' states with more-lenient ordinances and statutes may issue a title of ownership on a vehicle that the State of Florida declared as a non-rebuildable vehicle. That might happen if the other state issuing the title for a vehicle in that state, didn't check against the State of Florida's records to determine that the vehicle was declared by Florida to be non-rebuildable. The phrase here to remember is, caveat emptor!

Here are the Florida regulations. To determine your regulations, contact the AHJ (authority having jurisdiction).
https://www.idrivesafely.com/dmv/florida/vehicle/salvaged-vehicles/

My 99, in Portugal, only has a frame number, stamped in the headstock, *2LT-xxxxxx*, that matches de frame number in the registration title.

In Greece every vehicle that is imported by independend shops, pass first from state technical inspection, then the trasportation authority gives you the licence plate and the ownership title.
Our bike was bought back in the mid 90's from a friend of mine who bought it from a bike importer. The paperwork was done by my friend who had the bike in his ownership many years before he let it in his basement after he got his family.
I was really upset when I found out that there is no vin on the headstock! Usually the transportation authority, engraves a new vin somewhere on the frame, if for example you change your frame with a new one, but to find out where it is engraved I will have to ask the authorities before we get the bike in our ownership.

I will keep the post updated!

There is a while since my last post, but the update has some good news! The vin was under a layer of paint and was barely visible. I sanded it off and it revealed. The vin starts with 3UF - xxxxxx . At firtst I thought it should start with a JYA but it's a japanese bike...
Bad news are that the clutch is slipping, and the rectifier didn't gave enough charge to the battery.
Have had the rectifier replaced and did the crimp fix and it has now sufficient charging voltage.
The carburettors have the unrestricted models' slides with the long springs and with the laser exhaust cans the bike is pretty gutsy!
That's for now...maybe I should post somewhere all the jobs we carried on during the time that the bike is in our ownership..

Latest posts

Back