nobody in sturgis?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but I sure wish I were there right about now. Any place is better'n here at work. I wanna go through there next year on the way to Glacier Nat'l Park vacation and spend just a day or two, but due to everyone's insistance on renting rooms by the 1/2 week, or longer during the Sturgis event.....we may well choose another route instead.

We've been twice now, and really enjoy it there.

For some reason I am unable to upload photos with my phone right now.
Yeah, pricey sleepins around here this week. $50 a night for a 30a hook-up spot 50 miles out of the "spot". $20 any other time of the year.
Saw my first gen 2 up close and personal today. Little star booth at the edge of the action. I mean the edge.
Lots of HD clones and one gen 2 on display. Sat on it for about 45 seconds before armed security gently asked me to get off. After hours, booth closed at 7:00 and we got there at 7:20.
I am impressed, wife thinks its ugly, too modern.

For some reason I am unable to upload photos with my phone right now.
Yeah, pricey sleepins around here this week. $50 a night for a 30a hook-up spot 50 miles out of the "spot". $20 any other time of the year.
Saw my first gen 2 up close and personal today. Little star booth at the edge of the action. I mean the edge.
Lots of HD clones and one gen 2 on display. Sat on it for about 45 seconds before armed security gently asked me to get off. After hours, booth closed at 7:00 and we got there at 7:20.
I am impressed, wife thinks its ugly, too modern.

I didn't care too much for the factory color either at first, but I found that with a little paint of your choice, and some powdercoating of 'yamaha brown' parts, that problem can be fixed. Just sayin'...

We've stayed both times at a place across the hwy from the Sturgis dragstrip. I think it is called Creekside Campground. Decent accomodations. First time there, we were pulling the 5th wheel garage. The second time we went, we rode and stayed in one of their tiny cottages. The place serves breakfast & lunch every day, and maybe some burgers at supper time too. Also a small convenience store inside w/ ice etc. If we ever stay right in Sturgis again, it'll be at Creekside, but we've tossed the idea of staying a bit further away, at maybe Deadwood, Lead, or even Custer.

I'm close to Custer.
Found the front tire cracking between the treads this morning on my cleanup / maintainence. Checked the pressure and it had lost 8 psi in 2 days. Some were 3/4 inch long.
Not easy to find an Avon storm 110/70/17 in an area somthered in cruisers. JP cycles said they had stacks of them in their wheel shop, getting through downtown in a minivan to the shop yielded no tires of any brand in that size.
Turned around and low and behold, there is an Avon booth. Had a roadsumthing in my size with a different but acceptable tread pattern. I tried to buy it on the spot from the lady. "Just a display" was her reply. She did quickly make some texts and tell me if they didn't have it at the vendor a block away, she would make sure that I got the one in her booth.
Got to the vendor 10 minutes later. Waited in a one person line for 5 minutes to buy a tire cash and carry. As I stepped up to the front and began to ask the same question for the 15th time with little hope, I heard salesman 2 reply to his text by voice-to-text.
"We have one of each of what you need".
I told him that his reply was regarding me, and I would take the storm (direct replacement).
Salesman #1 who has very strong B.O. and acute A.D.D. finally gets me out the flap (of the tent) 15 minutes later with what appears to be one of three 110/70/17 tires within 150 miles of rapid city.

I called every dealer, repair, tire place I could find on my phone.

Luckily, I brought my spoons and nylon rimsavers. Street bike tires are SOOOOOOOO much easier than MX tires to replace. Put the bike on the kickstand on a solid rock section of my spot next to a tree. Used 1 tiedown to go around a nearby tree and another around the bars to pull the front up and back enough to easily remove the wheel. Had to jack the hauler up, and use a piece of 2x4 on the tire as I lowered the hauler to break the beads. Other than that, piece of cake.
A kind neighbor saw me wrenching, came looking, and came back with a small 120 volt compressor. Very nice old gent. On holiday with his grandkids, I believe.
Pumped it up, got the beads seated, adjusted the pressure and it started raining as I tightened the caliper bolts to finish the job. Used spray detailer to lube the beads. Worked like a charm.
Put balance beads in there to smooth it out. Worked nice in the rear, so I will see if it works as well in the front.

Drinking in the the cozy, tiny toy hauler as rain pelts the thin aluminum roof I type these words of a trying day. That being said, any vacation day is a good day.

Wow, that sounds like a story to remember for years to come. I thought there were several tire-only type svc centers set up in & around Sturgis to cash in on all the bike fever going on during this period each year. I'm surprised you couldn't find one of them to assist you in an easier tire changeout than what you had to go through.

As the day progresses, perhaps you can find your way to one of the area LIVE webcams and strike a pose? http://rapidcityjournal.com/webcams/sturgis-street/ Tow or three cams in downtown Sturgis, and another couple in surrounding communities like Deadwood & Rapidcity.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation. It's raining AGAIN today here in SW MO. Big chance for rain the next 7-8 days in a row. Streams are flooding this week. I guess a wet, green, cooler July/Aug in MO beats dragging around garden hoses daily trying to keep the trees & bushes alive in the sweltering heat - as is the case most other years.

Back to reality. Back home now.
Saw 1 max AT the "eye of the needle" at around 4:00 pm on Thursday. He waved, otherwise I wouldn't have even noticed. Anyone? Anyone?

Back to reality. Back home now.
Saw 1 max AT the "eye of the needle" at around 4:00 pm on Thursday. He waved, otherwise I wouldn't have even noticed. Anyone? Anyone?

That kinda like real life you see tons of motorcycles everywhere and rarely see a vmax . Kinda of special when you do tho !! THATS why I love my max ...RARITY !! WE ARE A DIFFERENT AND UNIQUE BREED .

I was there Friday and Saturday. I caught a glimpse of 3. One was parked in Hill city it was an 06' I just had to park next to him. I seen a gold max close to sturgis and a silver one at the Buffalo chip.

Latest posts

Back