Non V- Max but motorcycle related .

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiser1198

Reaction score
Curious does anyone have or rode a Suzuki Bandit 1250 ? Guy I know wants some work done and he is willing to trade for a non running Bandit 1250. Says he will get it running first but I just don't want to bust my ass then see the bike is a total turd and I wasted all that time for nothing . Thanks

Bandit 1250's are earlier-model GSXR motors, so lots of aftermarket support. What is 'non-running' about it? I'd check for compression and spark, and don't do any work above what it would be worth as a part-out.

Okay got the news on the Bandit , guy bought a new battery for it and asked until next wk to get the fuel system cleaned out and bike running { he has work out of town} so hopefully will know something by Saturday afternoon !

They are running SOB's and will out handle your max (and likely outrun it). Usually very durable.

One of my friends had multiple of both, and he liked the Bandits. Since it's the air/oil-cooled GSXR engine, parts are easy to acquire, and you can make some big HP #'s if you want. Depending on how-much $ you want to-spend you can make a really-big displacement engine. I suspect you're probably just wanting to get it reliably-operational for now, once you decide to do the deal. There's lots of info on the 'web, but sorting the good info from the bad is necessary. I know the guys at the shop I frequent, are able to pull big numbers out of those engines. I've posted this up before, an example of a custom-mod to a GSXR 1100. Before he did this, he rode the GSXR two-up (!) from so. FL to MX!

The first pic is of a bike for-sale awhile ago, a Bandit turbo, as an example of what could be done.

Suzuki 1200 Bandit turbo.jpg

GSXR 1100 fitted for bodywork:
GSXR1100 Steve.03.jpg

GSXR 1100 further-along:
GSXR1100 Steve.02.jpg
GSXR1100 Steve.01.jpg

Last edited:
Well with my luck I went and checked out the Bandit 1250 this morning and has seems to be normal for me the bike is a bigger pile of crap than you can imagine . Block had a crack in it , head was warped and the frame was cracked near the steering neck , so I think I am not looking anymore until I have a good chunk of cash to buy something needing no work !

Well with my luck I went and checked out the Bandit 1250 this morning and has seems to be normal for me the bike is a bigger pile of crap than you can imagine . Block had a crack in it , head was warped and the frame was cracked near the steering neck , so I think I am not looking anymore until I have a good chunk of cash to buy something needing no work !
Good that you found the disqualifying faults. Some dumb guy would buy it under the seller's pretext of, "oh it just needs the points adjusted, and the generator needs new brushes, then it should run like a goosed ostrich!" (Ostriches are twice as-fast as a roadrunner).

The guy was at least honest he told me about some of the things Friday night he found , I have known him for yrs so that helped . He waited until this morning to show me so I could see for myself and he still has the work for me so at least I can earn a little cash . I look at it like I still have a Good Friend I can trust

Someone gave me a Yamaha XS650 Special II and as it turned-out, I knew the original owner. I soon had it running. It had a rusted-out gas tank. There was a used parts bike place in town, he had a 'difficult' reputation. I called him, and he said he had a gas tank for it. I went to the shop, and asked for it. He went in-back and came-out to the counter with a gas tank, he put it on the counter top and held onto it. I reached for it, to take a look, and he pulled it back. He wouldn't let-go of it. I finally told him, "hey I gotta inspect this, show me the other side!" I already noticed that the fuel petcock was removed, the tank emblems were removed, even the gas cap was removed! He turned it around, and I saw that apparently the bike had fallen onto that side in a 'while underway' accident. The tank was caved-in, and probably perforated, once I saw the crash damage, I wasn't interested anymore. Just-because I wanted to hear his story, I asked the price. He told me, and I asked, "are you gonna give me the petcock, the emblems, and the gas cap?"

"No," he replied, "those cost extra!"

What a piece of S_it that was! As he offered it, it was useless to me. If he gave it to me, free, I probably wouldn't have taken it.

^^^^frame and block cracked, why did you look at it as it sounds like it is uneconomical to repair, so a parts bike.

I once drove 100+ mi and $20 in tolls to look at a 77 (I think) Honda CB-750F. Was supposed to be in GREAT condition.

Rusty pile of crap.. some people just plain suck.

If you got there and it was like this one, buy it! Because it's built like the other one, "from France." Like the Coneheads. Not stock! A veteran streetracer being serviced/repaired at my friend's shop. A 750F in-name-only.

Honda 750F-1000cc.jpgHonda 750-4 Japauto Quatre 1000 VX.jpgConeheads on bike.png

Just for fun: classic Saturday Night Live with Steve Martin, Gilda Radner, and John Belushi, and the Coneheads: Dan Akroyd, Jane Curtain, and Larraine Newman (above), narrated by Bill Murray playing the Family Feud host, Richard Dawson:

Japauto 1000 VX Bol D’Or 1974 | Motos Antiguas HD

Honda-Japauto replica Bol d'Or 1974 PEM frame.jpg
Honda-Japauto SOHC 750-4.01.jpg

Last edited:
That blue 750k has velocity stacks. I put them on my 74 750k with Kerker 4-1. I could not get it to run for shit. Even the local bike speed shop couldn't get it right. Only WOT was good. Back to the stock air box. Ran like a top at any throttle position. I did re jet and raised needles with the pipe.

Those 750 SOHC were just bullet proof.

Back