noob ? of the day (handlebars)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowpoke

Reaction score
how do you remove the grips? everything else seems pretty straight forward as far as removing off the handle bars. ( i see bolts anyway lol...) also the bolts that hold the handlebars themselves on, the heads face the front correct? just making sure i am looking at the right things before i actually get started.

the grips you need to cut them off or a long screwdiver and some compressed air. takes a bit of work to get them off and not ruin anything...

which bolts are you talkin about? the ones that clamp it down should be facing you...

ahh ok so there are bolts under those 4 plugs. i guess the allen bolts i saw were holding the spacer on. how do you remove the throttle side grip? is it held on by bolts? i figured the left side would be a pain but the right side seems it would be held on by bolts somehow.

There is a thread about this under the VMax General Questions (here)

For removal of the actual handlebar, as you are sitting on the bike, right in the center of the handlebar is the clamp where it is bolted down. There are 4 socket head bolts in the four corners of the clamp. (There may be a little silver decorative piece stuck in the hex head. Use a small screwdriver to pry them off to reveal the bolt heads)

On the underside of the grip there are a couple of philips head screws, loosen/remove them. I don't recall if it is those that loosen the throttle housing or if that splits the case that allows you to access another bolt that tightens things down.

All I recall was that it was clear enough as to how things came apart that I didn't need to commit anything special to memory.

To remove the thottle side grip (the actual rubber grip), get in there with a small screwdriver and something like comressed air or windex. Spray some in there and work the throttle forward against the closed throttle stop. As you work the screwdriver and windex in, you will feel things start to loosen.

perfect :) thank you very much. everything else i could figure out as i went, getting those damn grips off was one thing i didnt want to just start prying off in case there was some hidden tricks or screws holding them on :) for now im wanting to reuse my end caps and grips

Im using some screwdriver or wooden stick(for not scrathing).
Im levering the small part of grip and spraying some silicone oil into it.
Its slips out very easly then.

If you're changing bars but keeping grips there is no need to remove rubber grip from the throttle tube. Loosen up the two phillips screws on the bottom of the throttle housing. Remove everything else including left grip, switch housing, and masters. Remove 4 bolts securing bars. Bars are now free an you will have enough slack to slide the whole throttle assembly off the bars. Gotta remove the plasitc bar end from the throttle side first though.

As the other guys said, just lide a something really thin between the grip and bar to get it loosened up. I remove the switch assembly grap the inboard side of the grip and push. Mine came right off like that. Didn't need air or any lube.

it was a cake job. now that i knew what to look for.... took all of 15 minutes :) i may have to reposition the bars a bit but they are installed now.

Latest posts

Back