noob question # 101 (clutch fluid)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowpoke

Reaction score
i dont have a book on my 05 vmax. i noticed the fluid needs changed. i guess the po rode her hard or didnt know how to use the clutch. where is the bleeder screw? also, is it normal for it to pull slightly with it in first gear sitting still with the clutch in? i dont mean the initial lurch forward as you put it in gear, but it actually feels as if the clutch is very slightly engaged... i assume flushing and bleeding the clutch is like bleeding the brakes on a car, except you dont need 2 people to do it right?

Look on the left side on engine. See the square rubber cover near middle gear cover? Lift that up and the bleeder is there.

No, that's not normal. Put fresh DOT3 or 4 in there and bleed with Mityvac or similar vacuum tool. Let us know if it continues to lurch after that. If so, need to inspece clutch spring and possibly slave cylinder.

I don't even mess with a vacuum bleeder. As the system is already full of fluid here is the process I use to flush out the old fluid:

1) Open Master cylinder res. cover, top off as needed.

2) Attach a piece of properly sized Tygon tubing to the bleed nipple with a wire tie. Ensure that there is a "loop" in the Tygon that goes higher than the slave cylinder by a fair bit to prevent air from back flushing into slave cylinder (I have a long enough piece that it actually goes up and over my handlebars to make sure that my fluid level will be higher than my master cylinder as well).

3) Put the other end of the Tygon tubing into a jar/can/ or whatever else you have to collect the fluid.

4) Open bleed nipple.

5) Pull clutch lever and hold, check to see that fluid is moving up the Tygon. Close bleed nipple, top off res., pump clutch lever to move fluid down to replace fluid removed, and then reopen bleed nipple. Pump clutch lever to force fluid through system. Top off the clutch master cylinder res. as needed to prevent system from getting air in it.

6) Continue to pump fluid through system until it appears clean through Tygon tubing.

7) Close bleed nipple, top of master cylinder res., replace cover, and test clutch operation.

8) Drain down Tygon tubing and remove from bleed nipple. Use extreme caution to make sure that no fluid gets on paint or plastic parts.

9) Ride the bike:biglaugh:

i dont have a book on my 05 vmax. i noticed the fluid needs changed. i guess the po rode her hard or didnt know how to use the clutch. where is the bleeder screw? also, is it normal for it to pull slightly with it in first gear sitting still with the clutch in? i dont mean the initial lurch forward as you put it in gear, but it actually feels as if the clutch is very slightly engaged... i assume flushing and bleeding the clutch is like bleeding the brakes on a car, except you dont need 2 people to do it right?

Here You go Slowpoke. Service , Maintenance, and Owners Manuals. Plus a couple others for Our Mighty VMAX

http://www.chansen.net/Members/VMAX/

Chris

Go to the Vmx link and download all the manuals you want or need , or better still just ask:punk:

Latest posts

Back