Normal looking Fuel Filter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrightj1560

Reaction score
Just changed my fuel filter with a Napa gold. While I had the opportunity, I cut open my old one to take a look (pics attached). Does this look normal? I would assume some deposits are pretty normal but looking for your thoughts. I did notice a little rust in my fuel neck so that will be the next project.
2002 carbon with 12500 miles. I purchased the bike this spring with 9400.

Attachments

• 18477A96-A055-441D-8C9E-9A5BFB961064.jpeg
    18477A96-A055-441D-8C9E-9A5BFB961064.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 72C6A6D0-BD39-4353-8E77-D55F245EA435.jpeg
    72C6A6D0-BD39-4353-8E77-D55F245EA435.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 24
Not excessively-dirty, but if the stuff passed-through a less-effective filter, your idle would be crummy, and three people would be telling you to 'shotgun' or 'peashooter' the carburetors while a couple others would tell you to split the carb rack into two pairs, to remove the float bowls, the jet blocks, the pilot jets and the main bleed pipes, and clean the bodies in an ultrasonic bath.

Have you soldered your brass crimp sleeve in the wire harness yet? Deliver more volts to your bike's electrics! You have to remove a bit of the black wrapping to expose it.

VMax electrical crimp.02.jpeg.jpgVMax electrical crimp.01.jpeg

Lots of great info here:
New Vmax Owner FAQs....new members please read! Learn about common problems, oil choices, replacement parts, etc.

The factory service manual: save this, it will save you $$$.
http://vmoa.net/VMX12-Service-Manual01.pdf

Last edited:
Not excessively-dirty, but if the stuff passed-through a less-effective filter, your idle would be crummy, and three people would be telling you to 'shotgun' or 'peashooter' the carburetors while a couple others would tell you to split the carb rack into two pairs, to remove the float bowls, the jet blocks, the pilot jets and the main bleed pipes, and clean the bodies in an ultrasonic bath.

Have you soldered your brass crimp sleeve in the wire harness yet? Deliver more volts to your bike's electrics! You have to remove a bit of the black wrapping to expose it.

View attachment 78749View attachment 78750

Lots of great info here:
New Vmax Owner FAQs....new members please read! Learn about common problems, oil choices, replacement parts, etc.

The factory service manual: save this, it will save you $$$.
http://vmoa.net/VMX12-Service-Manual01.pdf
All great info! Just read the entire new owner FAQ. Thank you. What does the solder do for the bike? I’m not an electronics guy at all.

All great info! Just read the entire new owner FAQ. Thank you. What does the solder do for the bike? I’m not an electronics guy at all.
More volts for the system's components. A weak battery and less volts to the starter causes issues with the starter clutch. Anything you can do to deliver more volts helps the starter perform.

Unfortunately there is no filter to stop rust dust from fuel tank going into carbs.

Latest posts

Back