NOS questions....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
So i had toyed with the idea of putting NOS on my bike but I want to learn a bit more about it first....

The kit that jeff just put in abe's bike, does that put NOS between the fuel pump basically and the carb fill tubes?

I have read there is two different kinds? Wet that goes in the fuel and dry that goes in the airbox?

it seems that dry would be a pretty easy install? I know these are all probably dumb questions, but searching on this forum doesn't help b/c 'nos, wet, dry' etc are all too vague of questions...

like... could someone put this on a vmax: http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/1136819468.html

i'd appreciate if anyone knows of any threads to read on this as well..

thnx guys..

Garrett, Jeff's setup sprays below the carbs into the manifold and is a wet system. That's about all I know about NOS. :)

ok gotcha..

so between the carbs and the intake? on the manifold.. like u said.. nevermind...

yea just trying to learn... i mean if there is a simple, good way to do it, i'd be interested. need to get all the info first

thnx mark!

Wet nitrous refers to injecting nitrous AND fuel(normally through a nozzle with both a fuel feed AND a nitrous feed). Nitrous is injected as a gas and adds more OXYGEN to the motor. More Oxygen needs more FUEL, thus the need to inject fuel. These (fuel and nitrous)have to metered properly so as to get the correct a/f. Too much nitrous-to-fuel ratio and you will melt things. Too much fuel-to-nitrous ratio and you will run rich and thus not gain the intended hp. May even nose over if very rich. A WET kit has its own fuel system(fuel pump and seperate feed from the tank), thus it does not rely on carb re-jetting(on carb'd bike). Basically a stand-alone system added to the bike. Advantages are normally a hard initial "hit" and the potential for BIG hp only limited by the size of jets(as long as the fuel pump and solenoids can flow enough for the intended hp) AND the motors ability to handle that hp. A WET kit can be added to a carb'd bike as well as a fuel injected bike. Downside is the extra plumbing(for fuel system) and the potential for the extra parts to fail. Its a BAAAD thing for the fuel solenoid to fail as you would run extremely lean and prolly melt internal parts. Most usually run a fuel pressure switch(which is even more $$$)as a safety measure.
A DRY kit simply injects nitrous and uses the factory fuel system to add the needed xtra fuel. A Dry kit is normally only used on fuel injected bikes since the ecu can add the extra fuel through the factory fuel injectors. Though i have seen some up their carbs jetting and run a dry kit, its flirting with disaster and would also make the bike run too rich(robbing hp) when NOT running the nitrous. Advantages are simple install and simple plumbing. Also typically has a softer hit than a wet kit, which can be easier on parts. Disadvantage is the need for EFI and the hp gain is limited by injector sizing/motor being sufficient to handle the hp.
I'm sure i missed something or left something out, but this should help ya understand a little better...?

Also, the wet kits normally require mounting the nozzles in each intake between the carb/throttle body and the head. Drilling and tapping needed for this as well as 4 nozzles, 4 fuel lines, 4 nitrous lines.
The dry kits normally inject nitrous in the airbox and normally uses ONE nozzle/nitrous line.

fucking awesome birdoprey... very helpful....

so it sounds like if i wanted to keep it nice and easy i'd want to go dry, however i probably can't do it since we don't run EFI....

so everyone here runs a wet system that gets injected in the manifolds and the jets have to be tuned and whatnot properly eh? i don't have a dyno near me either so it sounds like I may be SOL for the time....

I am running a NOS / Holley Wet Kit on mine. 4 Foggers are in the intakes between the front and rear carbs.

I heard dry doesnt work that well on the VMAX due to its carburated and I can tell you this. If your not mechanical and precise in your work dont install nitrous, its a lot of maintanence and precision..

Nitrous is safe to use as long as the person installing and tuning has there shit together and has been educated on Nitrous Oxide, its not something you just put on and use.

fucking awesome birdoprey... very helpful....

so it sounds like if i wanted to keep it nice and easy i'd want to go dry, however i probably can't do it since we don't run EFI....

so everyone here runs a wet system that gets injected in the manifolds and the jets have to be tuned and whatnot properly eh? i don't have a dyno near me either so it sounds like I may be SOL for the time....

Though its best to have one dyno tuned, the nitrous/fuel jetting is a fairly accurate science. There are charts that show what jetting to install for about any desired hp. Typically, the jetting spread is 2 sizes. That is, the fuel jets will be 2 sizes larger than the nitrous jets. Nitrous "kits" normally have most everything figured out and if you follow closely the recomended install/jetting, then they are generally very safe to use. Like Lankee mentioned, there is maint involved. If bottle pressure is too low, your jetting will be rich, if bottle pressure is too high, you will be lean. You start running into problems when you deviate from whats recomended unless you REALLY know what you are doing and FULLY and COMPLETELY understand how it all works.

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, but it looks like you have already been taken care of with guys that know more about NOS than I do. I used the Nitrous Express 60005P system and it isn't as dangerous or complicated as it may seam. You are in good hands with a few guys here on the forum that have some good experience. The stuff is addictive and you will be wanting to use it all the time... even if it is to purge and show off.... right Abe?:eusa_dance:

This was my first experience with nitrous and thigs went pretty well. I asked a ton of questions (thanks again to all that helped out) and I tried to post my build here: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=2718&highlight=morley+nitrous

The nitrous kits out there are pretty straight forward, and if you follow the directions, you will most likely be o.k. I was really expecting a huge surge of power when the nitrous kicked in, (and you can feel a 40HP shot, don't get me wrong), but I actually expected more. It didn't feel a whole lot different than going to WOT, things just happened faster and the front wheel gets lighter. Feel free to ask questions, like I said before I'm by no means an expert, but I'll do what I can and pass you on to someone else if I can't help you out.

There are only two downsides to NOS... keeping the proper bottle pressure, and never being able to have a big enough bottle!!!!!!:punk:

Jeff

Good info Bird!
Nitrous gets it bad name due to improper tuning and installation by some. Also if you are a penny pincher nitrous isnt for you! Yes the basic kit sells for around 500-600. By the time you are done and complete you will have close if not more then 1000.00 in your nitrous setup.
They now make a nitrous regulator which works very well this item is costly.

Read Read educate yourself on nitrous oxide. ask questions here lots of nitrous vmax knowledge.

Good info Bird!
Nitrous gets it bad name due to improper tuning and installation by some. Also if you are a penny pincher nitrous isnt for you! Yes the basic kit sells for around 500-600. By the time you are done and complete you will have close if not more then 1000.00 in your nitrous setup.
They now make a nitrous regulator which works very well this item is costly.

Read Read educate yourself on nitrous oxide. ask questions here lots of nitrous vmax knowledge.
I'm very sure you've got much more experiance than i do Lankee! Your info is spot-on too!
I remember when i added a dry kit to my Hayabusa. Started out being a pretty cheap hp upgrade. Then i found that to be consistant, i needed a pressure guage. Found my presssure fluctuated a good deal, so i needed to get a bottle blanket(heater to be able to maintain more consistant bottle pressure for those that don't know), and for it to be helpful it needed an automatic pressure switch to automatically regulate the pressure. Then i needed a bigger bottle to have less pressure drop per pass....in the end my simple dry kit cost me over $1000! And i did'nt even have a progressive controller! That would have been next...

It is very critical that you have a liquid filled nitrous and fuel psi gauge! Nitrous pressure will flucate from 800 - as high as 1350 in extreme heat. Normally one jets there Nitrous System for around 950PSI.. So yes a heat blanket is needed when psi is lower then 950 and a purge system is needed if above 950. These are very critical in the whole jetting process.
Nitrous is not very forgiving with mistakes and you will pay with enternal engine damage that isnt cheap. Once again with the proper tuning and equipment Nitrous is fun and a cheap way to see a dramitic increase in performance

jeff, bird and lankee.. thanks for all the info... i'll definitley have to take a read and i think this will probably have to be put on hold for a bit, until I understand it a lot more. it also is not going to be a simple 2 hr job so it may have to wait until next spring/winter so i don't waste any riding time....

i am not yet sold on going to NO2, for the amount of upkeep for the amount of HP gained, but i think it would be fun. as with anything on these bikes.. its waaaaaaaay more money than ya initially thought...

jeff, bird and lankee.. thanks for all the info... i'll definitley have to take a read and i think this will probably have to be put on hold for a bit, until I understand it a lot more. it also is not going to be a simple 2 hr job so it may have to wait until next spring/winter so i don't waste any riding time....

i am not yet sold on going to NO2, for the amount of upkeep for the amount of HP gained, but i think it would be fun. as with anything on these bikes.. its waaaaaaaay more money than ya initially thought...

Avg install done right is about 12-15 hours. There is lots of info out on the web about Nitrous.. Goto Holleys home page lots of Q&A's on nitrous. First read about it and understand it. Get advice.... Once the nitrous is installed and tuned properly its a blast and very addictive!! It only cost me about 8.00 to fill the bottle which last about a total of 8-10 5 second blasts

Latest posts

Back