[Not Charging] Alternator.. or something else

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oke i now did this test all diodes give 540 except 1 is giving me 520..
All the reverse have no continuity.. Oke now im in doubt again.. is this rectifier still good?

So What should be the outcome of the R/R towards de battery 14.4 right? If i measure the outcome of the R/R red cable and Ground i measure 0.8v (im i checking this right?) which is in my opinion way to low? after running for like 1,5minutes the RR is bloody warm.. (i guess its normal because it need to take 50v back to 14.4 v?)

I think im getting closer by the measurement :p

What is missing in the manuals is testing the "regulator". You have checked the diodes which form the rectifier (convert AC from generator to DC compatible with battery/electrics) and those seem fine.

Usually the regulator comprises of zener diode and thyristor (one for each phase) - when the voltage exceeds a threshold, the thyristor turns on to feed voltage back to the generator. None of this get's mentioned in the Vmax manuals nor method to test. (I do have info. how to test but it may not be applicable to Vmax plus you need external voltage source)

re. Your lasts tests, you have RR connected to generator but is the output of RR connected to the battery? It may be that the RR needs a load i.e. battery to operate.

If RR is wired up, the engine is running at at least 2,000 rpm and voltage across battery is not going up, then RR is dead and not point spending more time on this TBH.

What is missing in the manuals is testing the "regulator". You have checked the diodes which form the rectifier (convert AC from generator to DC compatible with battery/electrics) and those seem fine.

Usually the regulator comprises of zener diode and thyristor (one for each phase) - when the voltage exceeds a threshold, the thyristor turns on to feed voltage back to the generator. None of this get's mentioned in the Vmax manuals nor method to test. (I do have info. how to test but it may not be applicable to Vmax plus you need external voltage source)

re. Your lasts tests, you have RR connected to generator but is the output of RR connected to the battery? It may be that the RR needs a load i.e. battery to operate.

If RR is wired up, the engine is running at at least 2,000 rpm and voltage across battery is not going up, then RR is dead and not point spending more time on this TBH.
Thanks for your help! I will replace the R/R within the next couple of days, and will report back if things are changed!

Back