Not sure if this is an issue? Sticky second gear?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImCannibal

Reaction score
So I've been meaning to ask this, because it seems like the Max is notorious for second gear going bad, but mine seems to be "too good", sometimes if I'm getting on it hard I'll go to shift into third and my bike will klunk like it went to third but still be in second, but if I just hard shift it then I don't have the issue. Occasionally it'll do the same thing if I'm going from 3rd to 4th... Maybe a clutch issue? Maybe I need to do the double spring mod in my clutch? Maybe I need to stop racing (beating) triumph speed triples and ducatis?

So I've been meaning to ask this, because it seems like the Max is notorious for second gear going bad, but mine seems to be "too good", sometimes if I'm getting on it hard I'll go to shift into third and my bike will klunk like it went to third but still be in second, but if I just hard shift it then I don't have the issue. Occasionally it'll do the same thing if I'm going from 3rd to 4th... Maybe a clutch issue? Maybe I need to do the double spring mod in my clutch? Maybe I need to stop racing (beating) triumph speed triples and ducatis?
Have you adjusted your shifter to your foot ? You might just need a simple adjustment to make sure your getting full engagement

I'm having this exact same issue. Have been meaning to post as well. Captain kyle, I am away from home atm. Is what you mention in the manual?

I'm having this exact same issue. Have been meaning to post as well. Captain kyle, I am away from home atm. Is what you mention in the manual?
Its really simple just look down at the rear of your shifter & there are 2 10 MM nuts losen them & you can turn the rod to move the shifter up & down. You might just need to move it down a bit.

I also had or have this issue but I noticed when I have my steeltoe shoes on it doesn't happen

Is this what you are talking about? Because I'm not sure how it does anything other than raise/lower the position of the shifter for personal preference? How would this eliminate a "sticky shift" for just one gear (for mean going from 2nd to 3rd when pushing hard).

Attachments

• 20140508_121639.jpg
    20140508_121639.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 11
Back