not the typical steering head bearing question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
raccoon+droppings.jpg

Just a consideration

the bearing is tapered and the outer of the bearing sits on the neck race, in this line of thought the clamping force exerted by the lower nut is going directly to the inner racer of the bearing sitting snug with the stem. even though the round steering neck cap (dust cover) sits between the lower nut and the bearing if you screw the nut with chanfer down do you think it will sit properly on the inner bearing race where all the force is applied? The nuts face must be flat to push against the inner bearing race with the dust cover in between... Kinda confusing but i think i made my point

If you look closely at the pic you posted you will see a Dannymax burr/smear of the metal you ground out to get the bottom race out. If you did not clean this area up, your bottom race is not fitting flush against the race stop and will always creep towards its final seating position and probably never see brg to race proper seat.

I am putting you on the stand like "TOT MOMS DAD", DID YOU HAVE SEX WITH THIS BURR/SMEAR AND REMOVE IT!!!???

For you maxers intimidated by the bottom outer race, don't sweat it. It becomes very simple once you grind out a "dannymax" notch. You can prolly do the same for the upper outer.

Last edited:
the dannymax smear is to give you access to get a punch in there i take it??

for sure you would want to clean it up afterwards, race wont sit straight, cause all kinds of issues i would think.

i may have to do my bearing soon, all good info!

If you look closely at the pic you posted you will see a Dannymax burr/smear of the metal you ground out to get the bottom race out. If you did not clean this area up, your bottom race is not fitting flush against the race stop and will always creep towards its final seating position and probably never see brg to race proper seat.

I am putting you on the stand like "TOT MOMS DAD", DID YOU HAVE SEX WITH THIS BURR/SMEAR AND REMOVE IT!!!???

For you maxers intimidated by the bottom outer race, don't sweat it. It becomes very simple once you grind out a "dannymax" notch. You can prolly do the same for the upper outer.

If memory serves, there is already access to the upper bearing....why they didn't machine the lower portion so the outer bearing race shoulders out (as the upper does) is a complete mystery to me! Or cast a 'dannymax' groove (hahaha!) in both lower & upper and increase the ID of the whole steering head.....:confused2:

Huh, I may have just stumbled onto the V Max wobble fix....it's caused because the steering head ID is too thin....it allows flex!

Shit!:bang head: Too bad Yamaher isn't still making the Gen I, I could sell them a flake of my brilliance and become a millionaire....NAY! A BILLIONAIRE!! :clapping::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Fug-it! I'd rather be poor!! :worthy:

hmmm....i DID clean it up and the race (at least as i recall) sat flush against the stop. i'll hafta dismantle and verify. i don't remember if i took the pic before or after the "clean up". but i do remember punching the race out because it wasn't sitting right and that's when i cleaned up.

Back