Not Your Average Chopper!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. I think it's pretty nice for a chopper.
Brilliant execution, and I can't believe it worked.

Ingenuity and vision. :punk:

As an owner of the first generation FZR1000 since 1988, I think I have some ability to speak as to the stock setup. The '87 engine RWHP was 122 on the dynos of the day, a bit more than the VMax was capable of (a VMax of the same time was 119 RWHP), and with an experienced rider were capable of turning well-into the 10's in the 1/4 mi. Supposedly, in 1988, Yamaha changed the cams to greatly boost midrange, which smoothed-out the two-step powerband the 1987 model was famous for, but it knocked-off about 10% from maximum RWHP. For most people, this was much more accessible, and made it more pleasant where 98% of riding is done.

To me, it looks like a very clever setup where the stock frame is used, but with different frame loops fabricated in-place. This allows all the engine mounting points to be used, and the gas tank would fit perfectly. The neck does appear to be significantly raked, although I suppose it could come from the triple trees instead. To me, it appears the steering head had a triangular piece welded-in to kick the bottom race way-out forward. If you look at one of the last of the 'under-fabrication' pics, you can see where the piece may have been added, it looks like like maybe 2.5". In any event, it is a slick package, and probably weighs less than the 476 lb. dry weight of the original. Let's call it that weight wet. That makes it 4 lb/HP w/o rider so it should make for a very spirited ride.

Drawbacks I see are the way your legs would be folded-up under you to shift/brake, the extreme forward lean to the handlebars will have a strong man crying after a half-hour in stop & go traffic, and as for the brakes, the bikes were overbraked in the rear stock, and would lock up the rear wheel easily because of the extreme front weight transfer, maybe that would be helped some by the extended wheelbase. The six pots(three opposed) X2 front brakes would probably result in warpage quickly as the disc wouldn't be able to shed heat from that setup quickly-enough. Still, if it's a "t-t" ("tavern to tavern) bike, maybe it won't get that much hard use anyway.

All-in-all, I can appreciate what the builder did here. I would love to thrash it for a few days, but I don't think it would be very much fun to live with. Like one of the bike mags said, recently: "like living with a supermodel, only to find-out she bathed once a week, and didn't brush her teeth."

Still, if you had one of these stock FZR1000's and had this next to it at bike shows, I think the two would complement each other like a flagon of Dortmunder Stout and weiner schnitzel with garlic and herb baby red potatoes. Maybe not to everyone's taste, but appealing-enough if you like the cuisine. After-all it has probably twice the HP of those 836 cc-kitted SOHC Hondas which were everywhere in the early '70's, and lighter to-boot. Think of it as an homage to the inline four chopper movement of the early 1970's. One thing for sure, it gonna handle far-better than any AMEN Saviour-framed SOHC Honda hoped to handle!
2661364280102180570cJHiaa_th.jpg
2685201490102180570GzGMEA_th.jpg
2566169380102180570exGXLv_th.jpg

More my style.
Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1336613157606.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1336613157606.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 53
I found that FZR the other night while shopping EBAY for parts for my 600. veryinteresting to say the least.

More my style.

That's nice!

Now I'm worried...
Starting to say "that's nice" to choppers is a sign of :
a) Insanity
b) Old age
c) Head trauma sustained during sports bike crashes
d) Good taste.

:rofl_200:

That's nice!

Now I'm worried...
Starting to say "that's nice" to choppers is a sign of :
a) Insanity
b) Old age
c) Head trauma sustained during sports bike crashes
d) Good taste.

:rofl_200:

E) all of the above

very nice chopper and very well done. litlle shame there is not a V4 block inside.

The block inside is 100+ lbs lighter in the overall build and is more-powerful. From a nostalgic, "hooray for the VMax" ethic, I understand your comment. From a functional, performance standpoint, with that stretched wheelbase, it should launch as-hard as a VMax and since it's more-powerful and lighter, unless it wheelies uncontrollably, it should spank any "pipes & a jet kit" VMax it encounters, along with many "power-adder" modded VMaxes. I love my VMax, I've had it for 19 years, but I have had my Genesis 5-valve FZR for 24 years. Around town the VMax is great, but once you hit triple digits, I want the FZR between my legs.

Me three, but I'd take a custom REAL chopper any day over any sport bike. To me a sportbike almost has the same seating position as sitting on a toilet. And personally that thing looks like the owner just kinda ruined a couple useless bikes to make one totally useless one.

zx9.jpg
images

Of course the first picture is just a joke...But the second is what a Japanese powered chopped could look like...This one has a Ninja motor in it

That ZX9 would flip over backwards if you goosed it. Reminds me of a college roommate's Kawi 500 triple, he had some long tubes on an otherwise stock-appearing bike. The front end sat way-high compared to stock. That was over 40 years ago, you whippersnappers! The Blue Streak 500 was king of the road then. I had one, a '71. When you turned-on the ignition the ignition box would hit a high-note you could hear until you started the bike. It was the sound of impending defeat for nearly any bike on the road in a contest of acceleration.

Latest posts

Back