noted customizer has Sturgis mishap, some injured

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
http://markets.cbsnews.com/Victims-released-from-hospital-after-stunt-at-Sturgis/727bd12513f63d47/

STURGIS, S.D. (AP) — A spokeswoman for a South Dakota campground that hosts hordes of visitors during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally says four people suffered injuries that weren't life threatening during a motorcycle stunt gone wrong.

Buffalo Chip Campground spokeswoman Nyla Griffith said Monday that "one, maybe two" victims spent the night at a hospital but have since been released.

Griffith says showman Roland Sands was performing a burnout Sunday night when a "malfunction" caused him to go off stage and drive into a crowd. Sands didn't immediately return messages seeking comment.
She says at least one victim was back at the campground by the time Kid Rock took the stage around midnight. Griffith says people's injuries included a broken nose and a wounded leg.

The announcer says, "bike has no front brake!" just before the bike goes off the stage and into the crowd, below.
https://youtu.be/dNYKWZzktCA

The style of bike he was on:

080816top3-i-730x507.jpg

Throw some lighting on it, presto, "instant streetracker." Oh, and don't forget a front brake. :rofl_200:

Last edited:
You can't fix stupid. :bang head:

This rally is the biggest collection of stupid you will ever see, and this is only the beginning. I just put my bike away during rally time and sit it out being only 20 miles away. Its just not worth the risk. It has devolved into a rub-fest over the last 25 years or so. Maybe stupid is harsh, ill go with a huge percentage of attendees seriously lacking experience and common sense. Definitely my least favorite time of the year.

After this rally cagers will be seriously hating on us for the rest of the season, it can be fairly hostile and I cant really blame them.

This rally is the biggest collection of stupid you will ever see, and this is only the beginning. I just put my bike away during rally time and sit it out being only 20 miles away. Its just not worth the risk. It has devolved into a rub-fest over the last 25 years or so. Maybe stupid is harsh, ill go with a huge percentage of attendees seriously lacking experience and common sense. Definitely my least favorite time of the year.

After this rally cagers will be seriously hating on us for the rest of the season, it can be fairly hostile and I cant really blame them.

I agree, it isn't very far from me at all but every year I think about going but then I realize it is a bad idea. You are right "the biggest collection of stupid you will ever see" IMO

I'd still like to go it's on my list of want to do but near the bottom . I'd personally rather go see a bunch of Vmax's and friends...

The Rally has really blown into a commercialized gathering of trailer queens and wannabees that outnumber the riders. Gas, food, booze and especially lodging are all price hiked significantly for the rally, it's a fleecing. As a bucket list item I would say seriously overrated since we cant turn back time to the 80s or before when it was a MUST DO.

The BEST part of the rally is riding the Black Hills, by far, so if thats what you want to do than the first thing to do is plan it for June/mid July or after late August when the tourists are mostly gone. Hit me up and I can give you some recommended rides but really you can pretty much just point the bike and go in any direction. Base yourself near Rapid City, its cheapest and central. If you camp let me know and you can use our property and showers, maybe even a bed depending on who else is staying in the cabin. I'm less than 5 miles West of Rapid City and will accommodate Vmax brothers to whatever degree I can depending on if I'm working that week or not.

The roads are bliss, the rides are amazing, the northern hills towns are small and have charm. You could spend a week here just riding without all the Harleys in your way. Being stuck behind Harleys and RVs is excruciating at best. If your like me a sweet, windy, mostly empty scenic road is the pinnacle of bliss.

The Rally has really blown into a commercialized gathering of trailer queens and wannabees that outnumber the riders. Gas, food, booze and especially lodging are all price hiked significantly for the rally, it's a fleecing. As a bucket list item I would say seriously overrated since we cant turn back time to the 80s or before when it was a MUST DO.

The BEST part of the rally is riding the Black Hills, by far, so if thats what you want to do than the first thing to do is plan it for June/mid July or after late August when the tourists are mostly gone. Hit me up and I can give you some recommended rides but really you can pretty much just point the bike and go in any direction. Base yourself near Rapid City, its cheapest and central. If you camp let me know and you can use our property and showers, maybe even a bed depending on who else is staying in the cabin. I'm less than 5 miles West of Rapid City and will accommodate Vmax brothers to whatever degree I can depending on if I'm working that week or not.

The roads are bliss, the rides are amazing, the northern hills towns are small and have charm. You could spend a week here just riding without all the Harleys in your way. Being stuck behind Harleys and RVs is excruciating at best. If your like me a sweet, windy, mostly empty scenic road is the pinnacle of bliss.

This sounds like an invite. Hmmmmm...

Been to the rally 3 times. Once on a 75 gt750, once on a sportster I rode 2 up on from and back to atlanta, once on the max. Saw my first max there my first time around. My gt got the most attention by far.
The rally... Definitely a money grab.

This sounds like an invite. Hmmmmm...

Been to the rally 3 times. Once on a 75 gt750, once on a sportster I rode 2 up on from and back to atlanta, once on the max. Saw my first max there my first time around. My gt got the most attention by far.
The rally... Definitely a money grab.

Back then most of the guys actually rode, it was a good time when we were surrounded by motorcyclists rather than motorcycle owners. We shared tell of adventures from the road and the ride. In recent years shipping them in and flying or trailing has become so commonplace. I used to stay in Sturgis 2 days tops, I was to anxious to get back out on the road. The real blast is the ride to and from, and meeting others on the same journey. Some of my youth was spent right here so it was easy to go back/forth but riding from the West Coast was a blast!

Back in the day (I love that phrase) if you saw a custom chop the guy riding it almost certainly was the guy who created it. Different times, most of the appeal is gone now, it's just to big and actually riding is very difficult and dangerous.

Yes, my words are an invite for vmax brothers. Anyone interested in riding the hills outside the busy season are welcomed to contact me.

First part is true...so is the second part........the first more so........

I'm not a big crowd type person I would prefer too stay away from the crowds and do the roads you suggested.. Thanks for the offer to vmax brotherhood :punk:

Back