Nothing's ever easy...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonerdave

Reaction score
Finally listened to my baby ROAR to life today! MAN she sounds good. I've got a lot of adjustments to make still, but its good to know that she's alive.

Here's my newest problem:

IMG_0006.jpg

No idea how that crack got there. It wasn't there last season, so maybe when I was moving the engine around to install the motor mounts. In any case, the crack is large enough to get a fingernail in, and it leaks a steady stream of water when I went to flush the system. I've never used JB Weld, but is there any chance a product like that would work on a pressurized pipe like this? In case you can't tell, the pipe is right beside the drain petcock between the front headers. The crack is right in the bottom of the elbow where it turns toward the rear of the bike. Do I need a welder?

Bike Bandit has that whole assembly listed for under $60. I am sure that you can pick up a new one cheaper than it would cost to get it repaired. Then you would have the piece of mind that a repair job isnt going to fail on you when you least expect it and always at the worst time.

Finally listened to my baby ROAR to life today! MAN she sounds good. I've got a lot of adjustments to make still, but its good to know that she's alive.

Here's my newest problem:

IMG_0006.jpg

No idea how that crack got there. It wasn't there last season, so maybe when I was moving the engine around to install the motor mounts. In any case, the crack is large enough to get a fingernail in, and it leaks a steady stream of water when I went to flush the system. I've never used JB Weld, but is there any chance a product like that would work on a pressurized pipe like this? In case you can't tell, the pipe is right beside the drain petcock between the front headers. The crack is right in the bottom of the elbow where it turns toward the rear of the bike. Do I need a welder?

That looks like it's metal....the elbows on my '99 & '06 are both plastic. Is there an impact mark near the crack Dave or do you think it's some kind of stress crack?

It is metal and there are no impact marks. It is cracked right along a seam that was originally welded (I think)

That pipe is part of the drain cock assy. and is metal for sure. When I looked it up it comes as the entire assy. with the valve included. Am seriously considering picking one up for Toxic just because my drain cock valve leaks a wee bit when there is a substantial temperature change. Usually just a drip or two, but if the bike gets really cold it might be a tablespoon or more. For the ~$60 it is listed for it is a cheap repair.

my drain cock valve leaks a wee bit when there is a substantial temperature change.

Some cranberry juice might help ya jim, :rofl_200:

$60 for a whole new drain assembly is a great deal. Looks to me from the pic that it looks sort of like brass. I wonder if you can solder is up like a radiator.

$60 for a whole new drain assembly is a great deal. Looks to me from the pic that it looks sort of like brass. I wonder if you can solder is up like a radiator.

Gee thanks, that and a shot of penicillin, or is it tetracycline:rofl_200: On topic here is a link to Bikebandit.com that shows the part you are looking for. It is part number 29.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1992-yamaha-motorcycle-vmax-vmx12d/o/m8012

Know that it is for a 92, but the part is the same for all years, their site is messed up for the 85 as it shows the oiling system when you click on the radiator hose picture under cooling system.

Or braze it using a bronze rod, but I'm guessing with a bit of flux you should be able to solder it, if it is indeed brass or bronze.

Chris

I think it's steel. I've got new ones I use for some of the 1300 conversions. I'm not sure how many used ones I have left. They are about $60 and you still need the o-ring that fits on it when you slide it in (I have those too lol)

Sean

I think it's steel. I've got new ones I use for some of the 1300 conversions. I'm not sure how many used ones I have left. They are about $60 and you still need the o-ring that fits on it when you slide it in (I have those too lol)

Sean

Was waiting for you to weigh in on these. Figured you would have a spare or two floating around the old shop:biglaugh:

I misread this as the coolant elbow, but it definitely is part of the drain cock assembly. I should have recognized this cause I installed one on the '06 last summer.

I'd recommend getting the whole assembly from Sean, welding or brazing could twist it slightly and it might continue to leak, plus it sounds like this is a metal fatigue issue and may just relocate to a different area of the fitting.

Also, be sure to get new o-rings, again it takes very little damage to cause them to leak.

Back