Notre Dame vs The U

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm prejudiced in-favor of the University of Miami, the wife and two kids are all U-Miami alumni, math/electrical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer science.

Notre Dame as a college football power has a history very few teams can begin to compare themselves to. Whether it's "win one for The Gipper," or "Rudy, Rudy, Rudy!" the teams have been in the popular public consciousness for decades, and Hollywood has made millions of dollars off the stories visually-related in the movies starring actors who have become part of history themselves.

So #3 Notre Dame came to Miami seeking to destroy an old rival, not a rival from those days of Knute Rockne, Frank Leahy, and Ara Parshegian, but from the days of Lou Holtz and Bob Davie.

The University of Miami, undefeated as the Notre Dame game approached, was slighted for not having a tough-enough schedule, and though Notre Dame had a loss, the Fighting Irish was ranked ahead of Miami in the AP and Coaches' Polls. Many expected that the Notre Dame team was going to knock the University of Miami right-out of the Top Ten, with a big win over the Coral Gables FL team. Lee Corso's headgear at the end of College Game Day didn't reflect confidence in the University of Miami's ability to get the job done, he chose South Bend, but he was in the minority, as Desmond Howard, who lives in Miami-Dade County, FL and guest picker, Alex Rodriguez, chose the University of Miami over Notre Dame, the right pick, as it turned out. The banner plane over the Hard Rock Stadium was right, "Gold Chains over Gold Helmets." The University of Miami Turnover Chain has become an instant classic in college football.

If you're a Notre Dame fan, you have to admit that the University of Miami was the better team tonight, no doubts about it. Switching quarterbacks because of "ineffectiveness" didn't help coach Brian Kelly's chances of reversing the outcome. The U ended the Heisman hopes of running back Josh Adams and any national championship possibilities that Notre Dame fans may have harbored. As football games go, it was not even close, 20-0 at the end of the first quarter, and a single late-game touchdown and extra points only prevented a bigger embarassment of Notre Dame being shut-out. Hard Rock Stadium, with its capacity crowd, sounded more-like the Orange Bowl, where the deafening roar of the Hurricanes fans affected the abilities of visiting quarterbacks to perform audibles.

Usually, one-sided games are boring affairs, but after all the kudos being given to Notre Dame for getting their #3 ranking this-late in the season, and causing the South Bend-favoring fans to dream of past football greatness, and the possibility of this season putting Notre Dame into contention for a national title, for the University of Miami fans, every episode of success during the game was a thrilling addition to a dominant performance against a team that most thought would spank The U. The little green leprechaun didn't get a chance to wear the Turnover Chain, and no-matter how the season ends, the University of Miami has legitimized its place in-contention for being among the best in college football this season.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/931/article/p2p-95106741/

From the Chicago Tribune article:
Notre Dame defensive coordinator Mike Elko delivered a 2017 version of Rockne's "Win One for the Gipper" speech.

With his players gathered on the field, Elko told them he was tired of hearing about the Hurricanes' superb defense and hollered: "You go out tonight and you show the world what this (bleeping) group is all about. You hear me? They can have the chain. We're getting the (bleeping) rings."

No championship rings will be ordered for the Irish. All they got Saturday were some black eyes. The Hurricanes obliterated them, effectively ending the game in the first half of a 41-8 romp.

“I didn’t see this coming,” Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly said. “I love my team, I love my players and I love the way they come to work. But we didn’t execute well.”

It's All-About The U!

Yes, I'm prejudiced in-favor of the University of Miami, the wife and two kids are all U-Miami alumni, math/electrical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer science.

Notre Dame as a college football power has a history very few teams can begin to compare themselves to. Whether it's "win one for The Gipper," or "Rudy, Rudy, Rudy!" the teams have been in the popular public consciousness for decades, and Hollywood has made millions of dollars off the stories visually-related in the movies starring actors who have become part of history themselves.

So #3 Notre Dame came to Miami seeking to destroy an old rival, not a rival from those days of Knute Rockne, Frank Leahy, and Ara Parshegian, but from the days of Lou Holtz and Bob Davie.

The University of Miami, undefeated as the Notre Dame game approached, was slighted for not having a tough-enough schedule, and though Notre Dame had a loss, the Fighting Irish was ranked ahead of Miami in the AP and Coaches' Polls. Many expected that the Notre Dame team was going to knock the University of Miami right-out of the Top Ten, with a big win over the Coral Gables FL team. Lee Corso's headgear at the end of College Game Day didn't reflect confidence in the University of Miami's ability to get the job done, he chose South Bend, but he was in the minority, as Desmond Howard, who lives in Miami-Dade County, FL and guest picker, Alex Rodriguez, chose the University of Miami over Notre Dame, the right pick, as it turned out. The banner plane over the Hard Rock Stadium was right, "Gold Chains over Gold Helmets." The University of Miami Turnover Chain has become an instant classic in college football.

If you're a Notre Dame fan, you have to admit that the University of Miami was the better team tonight, no doubts about it. Switching quarterbacks because of "ineffectiveness" didn't help coach Brian Kelly's chances of reversing the outcome. The U ended the Heisman hopes of running back Josh Adams and any national championship possibilities that Notre Dame fans may have harbored. As football games go, it was not even close, 20-0 at the end of the first quarter, and a single late-game touchdown and extra points only prevented a bigger embarassment of Notre Dame being shut-out. Hard Rock Stadium, with its capacity crowd, sounded more-like the Orange Bowl, where the deafening roar of the Hurricanes fans affected the abilities of visiting quarterbacks to perform audibles.

Usually, one-sided games are boring affairs, but after all the kudos being given to Notre Dame for getting their #3 ranking this-late in the season, and causing the South Bend-favoring fans to dream of past football greatness, and the possibility of this season putting Notre Dame into contention for a national title, for the University of Miami fans, every episode of success during the game was a thrilling addition to a dominant performance against a team that most thought would spank The U. The little green leprechaun didn't get a chance to wear the Turnover Chain, and no-matter how the season ends, the University of Miami has legitimized its place in-contention for being among the best in college football this season.

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/931/article/p2p-95106741/

From the Chicago Tribune article:
Notre Dame defensive coordinator Mike Elko delivered a 2017 version of Rockne's "Win One for the Gipper" speech.

With his players gathered on the field, Elko told them he was tired of hearing about the Hurricanes' superb defense and hollered: "You go out tonight and you show the world what this (bleeping) group is all about. You hear me? They can have the chain. We're getting the (bleeping) rings."

No championship rings will be ordered for the Irish. All they got Saturday were some black eyes. The Hurricanes obliterated them, effectively ending the game in the first half of a 41-8 romp.

“I didn’t see this coming,” Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly said. “I love my team, I love my players and I love the way they come to work. But we didn’t execute well.”

It's All-About The U!

I am glad Notre Dame lost. I'm not a fan of either team but I like that Miami is in the hunt this year, makes it interesting. I was really hoping Miss St would pull it off against Bama to have #1,2, and 3 go down in the same week. Of course since my Ducks have stunk it up this year and need to win out for a bowl bid I am naturally looking for as much craziness and chaos in the top 4 to lead up the the playoffs.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

If the AP poll is any indication, Miami will be the No. 2 team in the College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday.

The Hurricanes jumped up five spots to No. 2 after beating the previously No. 3 Irish 41-8 on Saturday night. Oklahoma moved to No. 3 after easily dispatching TCU at home while Clemson stayed at No. 4.

https://sports.yahoo.com/miami-moves-no-2-ap-poll-beating-notre-dame-190826076.html

That would have been a wild weekend if all top-3 teams lost, Alabama barely pulled it out.

You have to be old to recall this movie when it was released:
MV5BMTIzMTcxODE0NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjE3MjUxMQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Latest posts

Back