Number 2 cylinder spark plug

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAX2006

Reaction score
Ok.. so after reading many issues on this forum.. the bulk of the issues can be resolved by cleaning the carbs. Now I have cleaned mine thoroughly twice.. every orifice and jet has been cleaned, the float valves were leveled off. I synced my carbs once I put them back on. Now the reason why i went thru the carbs again was because my number 2 cylinder was not showing much burn on the plug.. As you can see in the pic.. thats over 100 miles on the plug and thats a new plug and the old one looked exactly the same.

I have verified spark and she idles fine and WOT she runs like a raped ape. its just at rpm under 4k.. she is a little jumpy. I believe its either the coil or the CDI. But I have no experience with it. oh all the other cylinders have a perfect sandy brown plug.

The last owner had a shop put on the Morley Muscle kit, apparently that replaces stock jets with a 100 and 170 jet. The A/F are syncing around 2.5, So I would guess those sizes of jets are fine. any input would help.. bike only has 5k miles and its a 2006.

also I thought it might be lean.. so turning up the A/F just makes it pop like crazy.

Attachments

• IMG_1068 (1).jpg
    IMG_1068 (1).jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 34
Ok.. so after reading many issues on this forum.. the bulk of the issues can be resolved by cleaning the carbs. Now I have cleaned mine thoroughly twice.. every orifice and jet has been cleaned, the float valves were leveled off. I synced my carbs once I put them back on. Now the reason why i went thru the carbs again was because my number 2 cylinder was not showing much burn on the plug.. As you can see in the pic.. thats over 100 miles on the plug and thats a new plug and the old one looked exactly the same.

I have verified spark and she idles fine and WOT she runs like a raped ape. its just at rpm under 4k.. she is a little jumpy. I believe its either the coil or the CDI. But I have no experience with it. oh all the other cylinders have a perfect sandy brown plug.

The last owner had a shop put on the Morley Muscle kit, apparently that replaces stock jets with a 100 and 170 jet. The A/F are syncing around 2.5, So I would guess those sizes of jets are fine. any input would help.. bike only has 5k miles and its a 2006.

also I thought it might be lean.. so turning up the A/F just makes it pop like crazy.

Your plug actually looks ok except the carbon below the ring. That's a lot for 100 miles. Shows ring wear.
If you have a multimeter give us a reading on the #2 cylinder coil- remember the coils on the front go to the opposite sides.

Here is a good pic that shows what part of the carb (jetting) will show up on the plugs.

Also the 100 and 170 jets are STOCK in a california carb. Usually people with Seans kit will change out the main jet.

Attachments

• sparkplug.jpg
    sparkplug.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 23
Your plug actually looks ok except the carbon below the ring. That's a lot for 100 miles. Shows ring wear.
If you have a multimeter give us a reading on the #2 cylinder coil- remember the coils on the front go to the opposite sides.

Ring wear? It only has 5000 miles! Prob is as simple as turning a/f screws to 3 or 3.5 or shimming the needle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ring wear? It only has 5000 miles! Prob is as simple as turning a/f screws to 3 or 3.5 or shimming the needle.

Yep....my muscle jet kit is perfect at 3 turns out for the front, and 3.5 for the rear.

Something to be said for trying simple things first.

Did you buy it used? I've seen motors that were not broken in correctly and the rings never seated properly. Usually a reason someone sells it with so little miles.
Why wouldn't you try that first before asking.
Why do you think there is so much carbon on the plug with only 100 miles on it? I would guess rich.

I would think he would notice the exhaust smoke if rings were that worn.

Just asking but wouldn't the plug be oily....or smoking out the exhaust?

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions.. Trauma.. Did your kit come with the 100 & 170 jet sizes?

What voltage should be posting on multimeter from a coil?

All my needles are clipped on 2nd from blunt end.. That seems to be working well above 4k

Well the 100 is a stock jet. Mine has a 90 in it....because it's a 49 state bike. Usually in Seans kit.....you will get like 147's thru 160 I believe. ....also a 177 IF you have to change the stock 170 to 177.

The 100 is for paj#1......and 170 for paj#2.

Also the a/f screws control for 0-4000 rpm at 1/4 of the throttle.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Back